Rugby or football?

Rugby is for posh people invented at a public school for people who go to public schools.

Not for me
Step out of the last century and stop feeling so downtrodden. The game is there for anyone to enjoy from any background.

Maybe so, but Rugby Union in most countries ( Wales being an exception?) is still rooted in public schools and privilege. Rugby league was founded on broken time payments and has a working class heritage
Another one bitter for no reason.

Last edited:
Playing or watching? If he wants to play Rugby then that's brilliant, everyone should have a sport they really enjoy. It'll keep him fit, get him into a social circle and is class for getting lasses later in life.

If its watching Rugby, then that's a different kettle of fish. I met some rugby fans on the way to the 6 nations in Cardiff (I was off to Bristol Rovers away), also knew a few from Uni and School and I'm afraid to say they're not the people for me. People who watch rugby have a weird arrogance that they're somehow watching a more superior game to football, maybe because there is less of them or something?

Playing or watching? If he wants to play Rugby then that's brilliant, everyone should have a sport they really enjoy. It'll keep him fit, get him into a social circle and is class for getting lasses later in life.

If its watching Rugby, then that's a different kettle of fish. I met some rugby fans on the way to the 6 nations in Cardiff (I was off to Bristol Rovers away), also knew a few from Uni and School and I'm afraid to say they're not the people for me. People who watch rugby have a weird arrogance that they're somehow watching a more superior game to football, maybe because there is less of them or something?
Real Ale wankers?

Another one bitter for no reason.
The fact that rugby Union tried to strangle rugby league out of existence by banning anyone who played it at Adulthood? It only took them 100 years to change that and even then it was only because rugby union were forced to accept professionalism in their own sport to keep the top level of the game going.

Rugby is for posh people invented at a public school for people who go to public schools.

Not for me
What a clown. Which decade do you live in. When the fuck will people stop playing the downtrodden working classes of the north east ?

What a clown. Which decade do you live in. When the fuck will people stop playing the downtrodden working classes of the north east ?
:lol: f***ing hell just re-read the thread and realised I've already had a pop at this in April.

Last edited:
loved playing both...but...

I'd say rugby keeps you more grounded and you get less wankers play at amateur level.....tackle hard and fair, maybe take a punch or two and shake hands after and go for a beer and a laugh...it's all about respect for the refs too, great to teach to younguns....

not try break the oppos legs and then cry when you get battered back, or threaten refs etc.....it's the reason I gave footy up....got pissed off with little shithouses thinking they're Ronaldo and Chuck Norris all at the same time...love the game itself, but not the pricks that you run into...

Last edited:
Football is the boyo. I played both as a kid but got bored of rugby. Don’t really enjoy watching it on the tele either. May change as I get older.

Same and played basketball but I thought it was a shite sport.

Was actually pretty good at it too as have an advantage with my height but couldn't get away with it.

Same and played basketball but I thought it was a shite sport.

Was actually pretty good at it too as have an advantage with my height but couldn't get away with it.
Love watching basketball since about 4 years ago. Probably like it as much as my football now which I thought would never happen with another sport!

How tall are you? I’m 6’3 but would be one of the smallest players on the court in the NBA :lol: mental

Love watching basketball since about 4 years ago. Probably like it as much as my football now which I thought would never happen with another sport!

How tall are you? I’m 6’3 but would be one of the smallest players on the court in the NBA :lol: mental

Tried watching it just can't get away with it that was about 7 years ago may give it another try.

6'7 mate

I would even look small on one of their courts, up against 7ft+ monsters :lol:

Last edited:
Tried watching it just can't get away with it that was about 7 years ago may give it another try.

6'7 mate

I would even look small on one of their courts, up against 7ft+ monsters :lol:
You’re around the size of a small forward. Everyone looks small against power forwards and centers :lol:

Rugby is a shit sport, no skill involved, just blokes throwing and catching before running into each other.....the only skill is the fella who kicks the ball through the posts, but he's still not good enough to play football....

:lol: f***ing hell just re-read the thread and realised I've already had a pop at this in April.
Hope you’re ok cobber. It’s no fun losing your marbles.

There was no rugby club in my County Durham pit village. We didn’t play it at senior school either. My first experience of rugby was when I went to uni and mixed (briefly) with some posh lads.

I’m not playing the downtrodden working class either. Far from it.

Sorry but it’s just not for me.

Love Coco x

Some of my dads mate, safc fans of yesteryear follow hordon rfc allover.

Asked us along but never make it, often free or cheap travel with the team, free scran n either free or cheap pints. They fecking love it. Often sounds more enjoyable than a day at the sol tbf.

Back