Rugby or football?

Dave Herbal

Striker
Ive been trying for 12 years to get the bairn into footy but he’s not interested. He’s just discovers rugger and loves it. I’m still trying to steer him towards footy but I think it may be a lost cause. Am I still living in the 80s when if you didn’t play footy up fully field you were a leper, or should I just let it go?

Ive been trying for 12 years to get the bairn into footy but he’s not interested. He’s just discovers rugger and loves it. I’m still trying to steer him towards footy but I think it may be a lost cause. Am I still living in the 80s when if you didn’t play footy up fully field you were a leper, or should I just let it go?
I played both, still do.

Always preferred rugby but love my football.

Let the bairn play sport. Better than sitting in front of the tv

Can’t get into Rugby. I went an England game at Twickenham last year.

The swing low sweet chariot chorus around the stadium was cringeworthy.

The game was okay but not as dynamic or emotive as football.

Prepared for rugby fans to point out where I’m wrong.
That’s fair enough, it’s about opinions. I enjoy both

Let him play what he enjoys. My dad wanted me to play baseball when I was growing up because that's his favorite sport, but he let me play football (our soccer), American football, and basketball as well. Baseball was not for me and I didn't enjoy playing it. When I told him that I wanted to stick to football (American) and basketball, he was fine with it.

Sounds like you’ll have to miss sunderland matches to take him to the rugby soon. Make sure he’s into decent music otherwise you might have to adopt another, better son ;)

I don’t get rugby like. Went to the Falcons match at St James last year through work. Left at half time. Didn’t strike any kind of chord with me.

Let him play what he enjoys. My dad wanted me to play baseball when I was growing up because that's his favorite sport, but he let me play football (our soccer), American football, and basketball as well. Baseball was not for me and I didn't enjoy playing it. When I told him that I wanted to stick to football (American) and basketball, he was fine with it.
I still don’t get Baseball like. You spend 90% of the game doing nothing

I can name about 15 clubs in the NE who play union from working class areas
Maybe so, but Rugby Union in most countries ( Wales being an exception?) is still rooted in public schools and privilege. Rugby league was founded on broken time payments and has a working class heritage

Back