(Rudimentary) Guitarists of the SMB - a request ...

My son used to refer to his guitar as “ the babe magnet” and would take it on holiday to Ibiza. He woukd sit at beach bars and outside of clubs and play his stuff. He told me one of the most popular was the Supertramp song “ Give a Little Bit”

My son used to refer to his guitar as “ the babe magnet” and would take it on holiday to Ibiza. He woukd sit at beach bars and outside of clubs and play his stuff. He told me one of the most popular was the Supertramp song “ Give a Little Bit”
He must sing in quite a high register

I've just found Elephant Stone by Stone Roses and most things the Verve did are quite easy using the 4 or 5 chords I know.
Also Do You Realize by the Flaming Lips

Don’t you - simple minds
Sitting on dock of the bay - Otis r
Somewhere else - razor light
Bully boy- shed7
Somewhere only we know - keane
Do you remember the first time - pulp
Something changed - pulp
Thousand trees - stereophonics
American pie
Devil in your shoes - shed7
Faith- George Michael
Fallen- franz Ferdinand
Handbags and gladrags
Love is the law - seahorses
Paint it black - stone Roses
Supersonic - oasis
The gambler- Kenny Rogers
Valerie - the zutons
You shook me all night long - AC/DC

Last edited:
Don’t you - simple minds
Sitting on dock of the bay - Otis r
Somewhere else - razor light
Bully boy- shed7
Somewhere only we know - keane
Do you remember the first time - pulp
Something changed - pulp
Thousand trees - stereophonics
American pie
Devil in your shoes - shed7
Faith- George Michael
Fallen- franz Ferdinand
Handbags and gladrags
Love is the law - seahorses
Paint it black - stone Roses
Supersonic - oasis
The gambler- Kenny Rogers
Valerie - the zutons
You shook me all night long - AC/DC
The Stone Roses didn't write Paint It Black mate.
Also, it's illegal in a lot of places to play songs by Shed Seven at parties

I used to keep a book (file) filled with cheat sheets for all the songs I like to play on the guitar to help me remember the chords and / or lyrics. Recently I was going over to my mate’s house to jam and sat it on the front fender of my Jeep while I put my guitar inside. Of course I forgot it and drove off. The contents of said file were then scattered all over the street, dispersed and destroyed by the wind and rain of a tropical storm.

I’m now trying to rebuild my songbook and would welcome suggestions for any songs that work well on an acoustic for someone with rudimentary skills. Obviously stuff like ‘Wonderwall’ and ‘That’s Entertainment’ are included as they were made for acoustic anyway. When I get together with my mates here they mostly like classic rock (Who, Stones, Beatles) and American rock (Petty, Mellencamp) but I like to throw in something different sometimes (Wonderful World, Easy Like Sunday Morning etc)

So any suggestions to help me rebuild / revamp my songbook will be most welcome. Specially if it’s something a bit funky and/or left field. I don’t have much patience to learn solos. Thanks in advance!
Wonderwall
Don't look back in anger
Half the world away
Country roads
Leavin on a jet plane
About a girl
The man who sold the world
Good riddance
Blowin in the wind

Big Star - what a band
Saw them at Reading in 93 I think it was. Excellent live.

At the time, another of my fave bands (Teenage Fanclub) cited Alex Chiltern and Big Star as influences and I think that gave them a bit of a renaissance.

I can't suggest anything to the OP as most of everything I play on an a acoustic has A minor or E minor as a dominant chord and is usually melancholic in nature 😀

That's Entertainment. Capo on 3, G Em in the verse, Am Fmaj7 in the chorus
Been my party piece for years. Might have been the first song I learned.
More recently medley it into Sam Cooke’s Wonderful World (same G and Em)
Nee capo for me like. Can no longer hit the high notes on the la la la la la bit!

Always surprised how many Americans know this song as The Jam barely sold a record over here. I saw The Gentlemen recently (class fillum!) and it plays out over the end credits.

Last edited:

Back