(Rudimentary) Guitarists of the SMB - a request ...

Tex

Striker
I used to keep a book (file) filled with cheat sheets for all the songs I like to play on the guitar to help me remember the chords and / or lyrics. Recently I was going over to my mate’s house to jam and sat it on the front fender of my Jeep while I put my guitar inside. Of course I forgot it and drove off. The contents of said file were then scattered all over the street, dispersed and destroyed by the wind and rain of a tropical storm.

I’m now trying to rebuild my songbook and would welcome suggestions for any songs that work well on an acoustic for someone with rudimentary skills. Obviously stuff like ‘Wonderwall’ and ‘That’s Entertainment’ are included as they were made for acoustic anyway. When I get together with my mates here they mostly like classic rock (Who, Stones, Beatles) and American rock (Petty, Mellencamp) but I like to throw in something different sometimes (Wonderful World, Easy Like Sunday Morning etc)

So any suggestions to help me rebuild / revamp my songbook will be most welcome. Specially if it’s something a bit funky and/or left field. I don’t have much patience to learn solos. Thanks in advance!

I used to keep a book (file) filled with cheat sheets for all the songs I like to play on the guitar to help me remember the chords and / or lyrics. Recently I was going over to my mate’s house to jam and sat it on the front fender of my Jeep while I put my guitar inside. Of course I forgot it and drove off. The contents of said file were then scattered all over the street, dispersed and destroyed by the wind and rain of a tropical storm.

I’m now trying to rebuild my songbook and would welcome suggestions for any songs that work well on an acoustic for someone with rudimentary skills. Obviously stuff like ‘Wonderwall’ and ‘That’s Entertainment’ are included as they were made for acoustic anyway. When I get together with my mates here they mostly like classic rock (Who, Stones, Beatles) and American rock (Petty, Mellencamp) but I like to throw in something different sometimes (Wonderful World, Easy Like Sunday Morning etc)

So any suggestions to help me rebuild / revamp my songbook will be most welcome. Specially if it’s something a bit funky and/or left field. I don’t have much patience to learn solos. Thanks in advance!
But Labour...

My mate who would probably describe his skills in a similar style to yours used to play Good Riddance (Time of your life) by Greenday quite easily if that floats your boat at all?

If you want to play for people in pubs then you need upbeat stuff. Songs about dead girlfriends tend to struggle in front of a pub full of drunken people

Some suggestions

Last train to Clarksville - monkees
Tainted love- Gloria Jones
Mrs Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel
Weather with you - crowded house
She’s so lovely - scouting for girls
Panic - the smiths
Hotel California- the eagles
Help - the Beatles
Sympathy for the devil - the stones
Delilah - Sir Tom of Wales

There’s 10 to start you off! @Tex

@mux I hope you noticed I did not nick anything off your set list!!

Even tho The Brit Pack play some cracking songs.

Last edited:
If you want to play for people in pubs then you need upbeat stuff. Songs about dead girlfriends tend to struggle in front of a pub full of drunken people

Some suggestions

Last train to Clarksville - monkees
Tainted love- Gloria Jones
Mrs Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel
Weather with you - crowded house
She’s so lovely - scouting for girls
Panic - the smiths
Hotel California- the eagles
Help - the Beatles
Sympathy for the devil - the stones
Delilah - Sir Tom of Wales

There’s 10 to start you off! @Tex

@mux I hope you noticed I did not nick anything off your set list!!

Even tho The Brit Pack play some cracking songs.

Rhinestone Cowboy gets the crowd going.

Feel A Whole Lot Better - The Byrds
Under My Thumb - Rolling Stones
Freefallin' - Tom Petty
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
All My Loving - The Beatles
Dreaming - Blondie
It's Too Late - Carole King
You Wear It Well - Rod Stewpot
Ziggy Stardust - Bowie
You Never Can Tell - Chuck Berry

Tijuana Taxi

Autopilot

Mother Nature's Son

Moonlight Mile open G guitar on the side

2000 Man

No Expectations

Sister Morphine

I Will

Subtranny Homesick Alien

There, There

Thirteen - Big Star

Thanks lads - some cracking choices among that lot.
Just looked up Dreaming - absolute piece of piss, fantastic song but not one you’d expect to pop up on a cum by yah session - exactly what I’m on about there cheers.

Things can only get better.

Quite considerate that you'd try to uplift him, but he's asking for song choices.

I would suggest:

Harry Nilsson - Everybody's Talkin'​

Beatles - Abbey Road Medley Mean Mister Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came in Through the Bathroom Window

Last edited:
Pnk Moon - Nick Drake
(Drop your bottom.E to a D and capo 2nd fret for the easy way to play it)
La Vie En Rose
D/Dmaj7/G6/Em/A7 and youll figure it out from there. Thats all of the chords right there.

Back