Rude Wedding Photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid I agree with Andy on this one. He's trying to build his business up. He has a contract with the couple explaining terms and conditions. He has every right to use the photos to try and expand his business. He has to look at it from a business point of view. The couple got what they paid for, nothing more nothing less. He may lose a couple of recommendations if the couple aren't happy about the whole thing. I would still go and see them and let them know his intentions though.

Andy trampling on all and sundry to get to the top of the tree, for shame young man, for shame! :lol:

Andy trampling on all and sundry to get to the top of the tree, for shame young man, for shame! :lol:

:lol:

Not really... I'm being deliberately obtuse tbf. The 2 couple's I used in the brochure wouldn't have minded... both said it was fine to send their pics to wedding blogs and one recommended me to the venue itself.

I'm more speaking from a hypothetical point of view. If for instance the wedding I'm shooting at Newton Hall in August impressed the coordinators so much they wanted me to be their recommended tog, and bare in mind this is one of THE most popular venues in the North East, and they wanted some pics from the wedding I'd shot I'd give them to the venue without hesitation. If the couple objected afterwards I'd cross that bridge when I came to it and would hope that the excellent relationship I have with my clients and an explanation of why I'd let them use the pics would smooth things over.

I would not check with the B&G first and be put in the awkward position of them saying no and me loosing thousands of pounds a year in business.

I appreciate you are all looking at it from a clients point of view, but if you put yourself in the position of a person building a business then you have to take the opportunities presented to you. I'm sure there's a few here would think a bit differently if presented with an opportunity to establish themselves as a business.

It's also specifically listed in my contract that I can and will use the images taken for promotional purposes so the couple have signed up knowing this was the case.

Like I said those disagreeing with what I'm saying aren't in the position of being in business... believe me if a top venue comes knocking you don't turn them away.

Oh and no you can't take a couple of models to a venue and 'recreate a wedding'... anyone who says that doesn't understand for one second how shooting a wedding works and how using models defeats the purpose of showing your work and how you do real weddings

We should vote on it, get more interest than the monthly competitions ;)

I'm afraid I agree with Andy on this one. He's trying to build his business up. He has a contract with the couple explaining terms and conditions. He has every right to use the photos to try and expand his business. He has to look at it from a business point of view. The couple got what they paid for, nothing more nothing less. He may lose a couple of recommendations if the couple aren't happy about the whole thing. I would still go and see them and let them know his intentions though.

So you don't agree with Andy then ;)

My only argument is that he should inform them before he does it

If they* say no - don't do it. You haven't got a clue how doing things wrong will turn out and could may be far more detrimental to your business anyway.

If I booked a wedding at a venue and they recommended me a photographer I'd probably still look at several/many before deciding and if it came to my attention you had upset the models in the brochure by using unauthorised (in reality if not by contract) photos I'd be unlikely to hire you. Good business ethics is better than riding roughshod over people in the persuit of coin. IMO anyway.

* they being a hypothetical couple rather than a specific couple.

If they* say no - don't do it. You haven't got a clue how doing things wrong will turn out and could may be far more detrimental to your business anyway.

If I booked a wedding at a venue and they recommended me a photographer I'd probably still look at several/many before deciding and if it came to my attention you had upset the models in the brochure by using unauthorised (in reality if not by contract) photos I'd be unlikely to hire you. Good business ethics is better than riding roughshod over people in the persuit of coin. IMO anyway.

* they being a hypothetical couple rather than a specific couple.
all of this IMO.

all of this IMO.

I guess it just comes down to judgement of how a couple will react... I've forgotten who brought this up now but clearly the photographer felt they wouldn't be upset and so didn't ask permission.

I always ask my clients if they mind me sending a few pics to wedding blogs and they're always happy for me to do so, and therefore I assume they are ok with a few in a small 6 page a5 brochure too. The thing is that no-one would probably book me if they were sensitive about these things anyway as I put loads of pics from every wedding on my site and they know this.

If I was unsure about a client's reaction I'll take your advice and ask them if its ok, but by and large I know the couple really well by the end and we have a good rapport so I can judge if they'd be bothered or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back