Rude Shopkeepers

Emma Chisset

Full Back
I quite miss them. We used to have loads of them a few years back, when there was only one butcher, baker etc in the town and you had to go to them or go without.

Shopkeepers then were the owners and rulers of their little kingdom and customers were only grudgingly tolerated.

Now we're having Brexit and going back to the old days, hopefully we can get rid of all this 'have a nice da-a-y!' nonsense and get back to having bakers that run out of bread at 11am, but still have 2 or 3 ladies lounging behind the counter to sarcastically tell you there's no bread.

And a strictly enforced Wednesday afternoon early closing day too.

According to our boy "they're all rude " referring to our imported shop keepers .Now to do with his miserable demeanor and obvious dislike of them

I quite miss them. We used to have loads of them a few years back, when there was only one butcher, baker etc in the town and you had to go to them or go without.

Shopkeepers then were the owners and rulers of their little kingdom and customers were only grudgingly tolerated.

Now we're having Brexit and going back to the old days, hopefully we can get rid of all this 'have a nice da-a-y!' nonsense and get back to having bakers that run out of bread at 11am, but still have 2 or 3 ladies lounging behind the counter to sarcastically tell you there's no bread.

And a strictly enforced Wednesday afternoon early closing day too.
When was there one butcher and baker?

Was it always the case that in families you’d always have one son a baker, one a priest, one a butcher and one a lawman?

Where do you get this idea that cashiers are over-friendly nowadays? They don't break the conversation they're having with a colleague and propel the food at you with all the force of a baseball pitcher, then throw the change in your hand without ever making eye contact.

Theres a rude one in a stall at Jacky Whites market home electricals.Can be very off hand and quite patronising.Think he likes himself and is resentful he never made it as a tv chat show host so takes it out on certain nice customers.Next time I ll be ready for him and give it to him no holds barred.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back