RP memories

The empty ground with the lights on was breathtaking. The crowds of 40000 and up to 50000 in the Cup run and the League games were tremendous considering we had less than 9000 at one time at the beginning of the season. My argument was Sunderland supporters didn't, at the time, demonstrate they just went home and waited for a hint of success. We were poor seasons 70/1 and 71/2.

The grass.

My first match was in the red seats courtesy of Claudio Marangoni and a chef at the Royal County.

I walked up the steps and in. And saw the pitch.

I felt like I had arrived in heaven.

We won 1-0

So many great memories but one always stands out man.utd in the face cup mid 80s 0 0 draw attendance given as 30k there must have been 45000 in the ground. my feet never touched the ground for the last 30 mins there was that many packed into the fulwell.Paul Atkinson waltzing around Gary Bailey at a out 85 mins rolling the ball towards an empty net the fulwell exploding and paul mcgrath ( what a beast of a player ) somehow managing to back heel it off the line. Tremendous . Lost the replay 3 0 happy days

Bennett goal against Man United, Armstrong in the FA Cup, Gabbiadini single handedly destroying Watford.Plus I was a ball boy in 86/87, during a night match, under the floodlights there was a stop in play, ball was at the edge of the box at The Fulwell, so I ran on, the glare of the lights hit me as I came from the shadow of the Fulwell roof, Gary Bennett was in the centre circle, he motioned for me to pass, so I 'sprayed' the ball to his feet in one Hoddle-esque motion, got a massive cheer from the Fulwell as I ran back to me seat.Would have been even better if ahd went me length on the way back :D

So many great memories but one always stands out man.utd in the face cup mid 80s 0 0 draw attendance given as 30k there must have been 45000 in the ground. my feet never touched the ground for the last 30 mins there was that many packed into the fulwell.Paul Atkinson waltzing around Gary Bailey at a out 85 mins rolling the ball towards an empty net the fulwell exploding and paul mcgrath ( what a beast of a player ) somehow managing to back heel it off the line. Tremendous . Lost the replay 3 0 happy days

Not forgetting the highlight of the game seeing a referee for once having the balls to send Bryan Robson off. We were pissing ourselves laughing when that happened.

Walking up the Roker End steps - seeing the grass made my stomach churn. I loved how in those days, people would get in early so the atmosphere would build. Everyone seems to leave it until the last minute now. Used to look over to the Clock Stand just before the teams come out. When they started clapping you knew the teams were in the tunnel. And Z Cars of course - never been bettered for me.

Loved it under the lights, just seemed better.
The camber on the pitch.
Not being appropriately dressed for the Sheff Utd home game under Reidy{Phil Gray diving header) and being the coldest I've ever been. Remember that @Latka Gravas?

I swear you could hear the crack of bone from the middle of the Fulwell when bergamp studded bracewell , a more recent memory was the Fulwell rendition of “are you shagging Andy Gray “ when that blonde tart from sky walked over pre match

Loved it under the lights, just seemed better.
The camber on the pitch.
Not being appropriately dressed for the Sheff Utd home game under Reidy{Phil Gray diving header) and being the coldest I've ever been. Remember that @Latka Gravas?
Talking of cold , Oldham away Tuesday night ( Bally header ) that was f***ing cold

Last edited:
I swear you could hear the crack of bone from the middle of the Fulwell when bergamp studded bracewell , a more recent memory was the Fulwell rendition of “are you shagging Andy Gray “ when that blonde tart from sky walked over pre match

Talking of cold , Oldham away Tuesday night ( Bally header ) that was fuckisng cold
Steve Agnew debut?

I remember, I think Bryan Robson got sent off for kicking Barry Venison in the face iirc..

The empty ground with the lights on was breathtaking. The crowds of 40000 and up to 50000 in the Cup run and the League games were tremendous considering we had less than 9000 at one time at the beginning of the season. My argument was Sunderland supporters didn't, at the time, demonstrate they just went home and waited for a hint of success. We were poor seasons 70/1 and 71/2.
Beyond poor. Way way beyond poor.

I forgot about the Wheatsheaf ffs man.
:oops:
Old 29, Dun Cow,Black Bull,Green Man, The Royalty,Brewery Tap, Imperial Vaults, Transport Club,The Blandford, Three Crowns
Zetland Street Club, ( Unofficial Supporters Club ). The Boilermakers Club,The Aquatic Arms, The Navy Club, The Boat Club and The Cambridge. Pilot Cutter . Those were the days.

Back