RP memories

Cracking atmosphere, roaring noise, glorious in the sunshine, dark rainy Saturday’s and evenings. People on fire in the Fulwell end from flicked fag ends when it was rammed, nearly getting crushed against the red terrace railings.

Standing in the Fulwell end before it was covered watching an evening game against Preston. It was absolutely pissing it down and was totally wet through when Davie Wilson scored the winner so we ended up getting beat 2-1. Utterly pissed off!

Fulwell before it was covered. Wow you must be a grand age Sir!

After a goal was always great, finding yourself next to completely different people and looking for your mates. There is no equivalent experience to that surge and madness in modern grounds sadly.

Not a fan of the modern trend to video everything on phones but it would have been great to see a few of those surges recorded from within the Fulwell End. Doubt there is anything like that in existence...decent phone camera technology was a few years away still when RP closed.

The memory is the best recording device. Nothing comes close. Anyone who went to roker loved the place. I was sad as fuck when it went. Go back to those days in a heartbeat.

After a goal was always great, finding yourself next to completely different people and looking for your mates. There is no equivalent experience to that surge and madness in modern grounds sadly.

Not a fan of the modern trend to video everything on phones but it would have been great to see a few of those surges recorded from within the Fulwell End. Doubt there is anything like that in existence...decent phone camera technology was a few years away still when RP closed.
Crowd surges on the terraces is one of the things I really miss, even though they could be quite scared at times. Even if safe standing was allowed at some time in the future, the emphasis would be on"safe" and those surges will never be recreated. Happy memories.

This! End up somewhere completely different. I recall one time we scored and all the jumping about caused some static electricity anarl so some zapping went on! :lol:

Second game I went to was a cup game v man city in midweek. Late seventies. Dad had a bit spare to went in the posh bit. Clock stand seats! Got there quite early and when me Dad was getting a pie and bovril I snuck up the half s dozen steps to look at the pitch under the floodlights. No one around, I stood there open mouthed, goosebumps all ower and hairs standing up on the back of my neck. Can remember it like yesterday. Happy memories indeed.

Tremendous.

Standing in the Fulwell and more noticeable during a floodlit game there was a constant haze of tobacco smoke drifting across the pitch emanating from tbe dark recess of the clock stand . There would be a constant flickering of matches being struck. At the back of the Roker End the tiny tiny compressed faces and the blackness of the night sky would be in stark contrast to the white wall at the rear and numbers 8 to 18 with empty flag poles

From getting off the bus at the wheatsheaf, walking down roker ave then across to roker baths road stopping to buy a programme fro. The bloke selling them out a shopping trolley, seeing the floodlights in the distance, calling into the newsagents on roker baths road. Sasp tablets and pop for me, 20 regal and a pack of matches for my granda. Walking up the steps at the back of the fulwell to be greeted with the lush green turf and the aroma of grass, mud, bovril and tabs. I miss it all.

First game in 72/73 season, probably due to cup fever as my dad and uncle didn't support SAFC. Dad and Uncle in one queue outside Roker End, me aged 7 in another. My dad was worried , kept looking over, then a bloke in front of him wearing what is now known as a flasher mac said to my dad " give him here" next thing I knew I was walking through turnstile under his mac, with my dad not far behind me, result. Always thought from that day , what friendly supporters and haven't changed my mind since

Back