Royal Mint Error Coins

Lester Ballard

Central Defender
Does anyone know anything about error coins and their worth?

I’ve got a 2012 Charles Dickens £2 coin, and the writing on the side is upside down (should be the correct way around when the queens face is on the upside.

Also the beading around the queens head runs from the silver into the gold, which again is an error.

I’ve seen some chancers have the same on eBay for £5k, and others for £30. Just wondering whether it’s actualky worth anything or whether anyone knows who I can take it to to have it valued. Apparently only 1 in 99 have these errors, which makes it relatively rare.

Other then going from my hand to an other I've never really checked one out other then to see what amount it is. Why not be a chancer and lob it on for 2k?

That’s what I thought, but apparently it is.
No it isn't.....like you say chancers on eBay along with shitty stories from tabloid papers. The only 2 error coins which are worth anything are undated 20p's and a 1983 2p which says new pence rather than two pence. You could also include the swimming 50p with lines over the face of the swimming but they were only in presentation packs from the mint itself.

The writing on the outside of the £2 is struck before the head and tails of the coin are struck so there isn't a actual right or wrong way in the direction the writing should be

I’ve got 6 Bonfire night £2 coins where they’ve spelled remember as pemember.

They are common as muck it is probably harder to find one which actually has the outside correctly struck

No it isn't.....like you say chancers on eBay along with shitty stories from tabloid papers. The only 2 error coins which are worth anything are undated 20p's and a 1983 2p which says new pence rather than two pence. You could also include the swimming 50p with lines over the face of the swimming but they were only in presentation packs from the mint itself.

The writing on the outside of the £2 is struck before the head and tails of the coin are struck so there isn't a actual right or wrong way in the direction the writing should be

They are common as muck it is probably harder to find one which actually has the outside correctly struck
Cheers for the information.

On a different note... who on earth collects mistake coins? Surely there’s better hobbies than that.

Cheers for the information.

On a different note... who on earth collects mistake coins? Surely there’s better hobbies than that.

If you were a lucky coin collector who bought an early Olympic swimming 50p with lines across the face it's going rate is about £500-£1000. Coin collecting is quite big, the kew garden 50p is very rare and goes for about £80 sensible price but eBay prices will have it listed higher, much much higher. The Chinese were even producing fake Kew garden 50p's.
The royal mint are getting a bit greedy now by releasing loads of different sets each year to capitalise on the popularity of coin collecting.

Coin collecting is like fight club, the 1st rule is you don't talk about it......as all your mates think you are a sad act

Does anyone know anything about error coins and their worth?

I’ve got a 2012 Charles Dickens £2 coin, and the writing on the side is upside down (should be the correct way around when the queens face is on the upside.

Also the beading around the queens head runs from the silver into the gold, which again is an error.

I’ve seen some chancers have the same on eBay for £5k, and others for £30. Just wondering whether it’s actualky worth anything or whether anyone knows who I can take it to to have it valued. Apparently only 1 in 99 have these errors, which makes it relatively rare.

Here's your man for coins. @Grumpy Old Man

I like to collect the 50p coins like.

I’ve got the Kew Gardens one. It’s one of the rare examples of a 50p that can actually sell for far more than it’s worth, about £60-80 on average.

Some of the rarer Olympic collection can go for a few quid but most of them aren’t worth much.

Back