Royal Mail - is it relevant today

Ah here we go with the 'select a national organisation and ask if they're still 'relevant' these days' pontification. Next week the BBC followed closely by the Post Office, BT, Libraries, Railways, and the National Health Service

It’s not an essential service, so why should the government run it?
If you don't have a computer or a smart phone how do you get your bills

Saying that I don't see the royal mail privatisation as quite the car crash that some of the others are

Last edited:
I think there is a very strong case for doing away with the Royal Mail. Very few meaningful letters come by post, there are plenty of alternative companies to deliver parcels, and it only seems to exist courtesy of marketing companies these days.
Its a private company. Its up to them what they do.

If you don't have a computer or a smart phone how do you get your bills

Saying that I don't see the royal mail privatisation as quite the car crash that some of the others are
Get a computer or a smart phone
Its a private company. Its up to them what they do.
There should be a heavy tax on Junk Mail.

Cutting down trees and then humping the paper all around the country for 99% of it to go straight in the bin must generate a fair bit of Co2

Last edited:
I think there is a very strong case for doing away with the Royal Mail. Very few meaningful letters come by post, there are plenty of alternative companies to deliver parcels, and it only seems to exist courtesy of marketing companies these days.
Universal service throughout the UK.
The likes of DPD, Hermes etc can't come close to their reliability.
Unfortunately they are fighting with one arm tied behind their back due to Government rules.

Lots of legal documents have to be served/delivered by post. Just about every solicitors I deal with do not accept electronic service.

RM didn't make a profit for the first 300-odd years of its existence either. Only since the late 1980's it did.

Last edited:
From the size of the queues on a Saturday morning collection desk, I think it's very much in use.

Saying that, they dont deliver the parcels anymore, just pop them little red cards through your door instead.

I've asked if they can leave parcels with a neighbour as there's usually someone in, but they never do.

Being either to leave with a neighbour or more convenient opening hours at the delivery office would help. Ours is only open from 7am-12pm which is awkward for working people.

Back