Royal Mail - is it relevant today

Hate it when a company uses them because of that.
Every other courier usually leaves it with a neighbour, these hardly seem to bother.
I personally don’t want my stuff delivered to neighbours and I don’t want their stuff delivered to mine.
Whoevers sent you stuff has entered into a contract to deliver to the address on the parcel/envelope. They’re breaking it by giving it to neighbours.

I personally don’t want my stuff delivered to neighbours and I don’t want their stuff delivered to mine.
Whoevers sent you stuff has entered into a contract to deliver to the address on the parcel/envelope. They’re breaking it by giving it to neighbours.

I'd agree with that unless I had a pre-arranged agreement with the neighbours. Woman over the street has been arsey about it with me, although I hadn't told them to leave stuff at her house (her husband has been fine with it). More often than not, the company something is bought from, if half decent, will allow you to specify a safe place for something. If they use Royal Mail, this gets done. Other companies, I've had things left with a neighbour but no card through the door to indicate this (neighbour in question was fine with this and dropped the parcel off to me).

Additionally, and this obviously varies, the Royal Mail collection office for me is on my journey back from work and is open late and on Saturdays. Other companies, in my experience have depots in Peterborough or Northampton and open 9 to 6 week days only. As a non-driver, that's impossible for me. Even if I was a driver, it's time off work.

Never had a problem really. Just much rather get it from a neighbour than drive over the collection place.

20-25kg parcel to portugal was £30-35 with RM,UPS £19-26 tracked+picked up from UK and delivered to door in portugal with signature req,an old cassette tape delivered intereraly in the UK no home pick up is well over £3.00 tracked and its smaller than a packet of fags and barely any heavier,Royal Mail kiss my arse

The Royal Mail are the number 1 drug mules in the country - no way are they going out of business anytime soon.

I think there is a very strong case for doing away with the Royal Mail. Very few meaningful letters come by post, there are plenty of alternative companies to deliver parcels, and it only seems to exist courtesy of marketing companies these days.
How do you 'do away' with it?
Should we do away with Tesco as there's other supermarkets?

The current CEO, a German with an apparent horrendous reputation for employee exploitation in Europe, is doing his best to break it up. His intention seems to be to hive off letters as a loss making operation and concentrate wholly on parcels.

For those who see the worth of RM, make no mistake, the business is under attack by asset strippers.

The current CEO, a German with an apparent horrendous reputation for employee exploitation in Europe, is doing his best to break it up. His intention seems to be to hive off letters as a loss making operation and concentrate wholly on parcels.

For those who see the worth of RM, make no mistake, the business is under attack by asset strippers.

Awarded himself £6m or summat for moving from one part of the business to another.

Hiving off letters which is a falling number and focusing on parcels which is a rising number sounds pretty sensible to me.

Hiving off letters which is a falling number and focusing on parcels which is a rising number sounds pretty sensible to me.

RM still have to meet the USO. The only way they can do that profitably is for the parcel side of the business to subsidise the letters.

When the hived off letters part of the business is stand alone and making a loss, what happens then? They hand it back to the government for the taxpayer to subsidise?

Unfortunately your "pretty sensible" only thinks of one thing, and that's how to screw as much money as you can out if it in the short-term.

They've certainly become more active from a marketing perspective and more proactive from a management perspective since privatisation - well that's my experience as a corporate customer.

I think there is a very strong case for doing away with the Royal Mail. Very few meaningful letters come by post, there are plenty of alternative companies to deliver parcels, and it only seems to exist courtesy of marketing companies these days.

Pretty much all meaningful letter come by post. Just last week I got one from council for elections & one from bank which both required a signature & return it by post.

For the shareholders it does, for the public?
Awarded himself £6m or summat for moving from one part of the business to another.

That was his golden hello for moving offices! Hardly sets foot in this country by all accounts too.

Last edited:

Back