Rowing machines

Do you have specific workouts you all do on them? I often fancy using them at the gym but get bored after 5 minutes.
Foggyballa gave a good answer about the concept2 site. Rowers are also very good for tabata/intervals as there's an immeidate turn of pace, not like treamills that take a while to get there.

I used a rower to go from 21 stone down to 14.5 in about 9 months IIRC. Everyday I did the same interval routine:

3 minutes steady warm up
1 minute flat out
2 minute recovery
1 minute flat out
2 recovery
.......for 20 minutes.

I got to a half decent standard, my 500m PB was 1.24 or 1.26, I forget.

Foggyballa gave a good answer about the concept2 site. Rowers are also very good for tabata/intervals as there's an immeidate turn of pace, not like treamills that take a while to get there.

I used a rower to go from 21 stone down to 14.5 in about 9 months IIRC. Everyday I did the same interval routine:

3 minutes steady warm up
1 minute flat out
2 minute recovery
1 minute flat out
2 recovery
.......for 20 minutes.

I got to a half decent standard, my 500m PB was 1.24 or 1.26, I forget.
Think I'll give this a go. I normally find for a steady 5/10 mins the top resistance level is fine, but I'm presuming giving the intensity of this I'd be better off dropping to half way.

Think I'll give this a go. I normally find for a steady 5/10 mins the top resistance level is fine, but I'm presuming giving the intensity of this I'd be better off dropping to half way.
that's called the drag factor. It's common to put it to the top but it's a mistake. Mine is on 6 and i'm a heavyweight (250lb)

read this:

there's a setting on a concept 2 that will tell you what your drag factor should be.

I might do a bit of indoor rowing over the winter as I have suddenly become too old and skinny to run in the cold.
I’d have run 5/6 days a week for years mate. Got on the rower a few years ago as it’s easier on the old knees and ankles. Probably row on average 2-4 times a week, and just the one short-ish run on a weekend. Rower, once you really get into it is a harder workout. No hiding place on that thing mate. Great though for the 29 days of every month you don’t fancy running in the rain :)

I’d have run 5/6 days a week for years mate. Got on the rower a few years ago as it’s easier on the old knees and ankles. Probably row on average 2-4 times a week, and just the one short-ish run on a weekend. Rower, once you really get into it is a harder workout. No hiding place on that thing mate. Great though for the 29 days of every month you don’t fancy running in the rain :)
Yes I improved my running times a few years back by running less and doing hiit/tabata at least once a week.

I bought my model C a few years ago. Refurbished from Rowgear.com. Excellent condition and delivered to house for about 2/3 cost of what I could have paid. They’ve no second hand machines at present, but these maybe worth a look?

Rowers

Last edited:

Back