Round 6: Ghostly or Spooky. Vote here.

Picture of the Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I've gone ChinaMackem and Keeps this month. In addition to the images scaring the shit out of me, they are both different interpretations of the theme and are very well executed.

Reet then as I prefer "sparse" foties with a "less is more" attitude I dont normally vote for "staged" entrys but theres a couple this week that I like.
Peachbums shot of the alien in the lightfitting has amused me no end.
The Stoneman one gets a vote anarl, I hope for the subject's sake that it IS staged anyway.
JanieP's just sneaks in as it contains nothing "obvious" unlike the cliche's that abound on a lot of the other efforts.

Im sorry but this months has been easily the worst efforts from the majority of you photography types. Like the England football team youve got to up yer game smb.

Reet then as I prefer "sparse" foties with a "less is more" attitude I dont normally vote for "staged" entrys but theres a couple this week that I like.
Peachbums shot of the alien in the lightfitting has amused me no end.
The Stoneman one gets a vote anarl, I hope for the subject's sake that it IS staged anyway.
JanieP's just sneaks in as it contains nothing "obvious" unlike the cliche's that abound on a lot of the other efforts.

Im sorry but this months has been easily the worst efforts from the majority of you photography types. Like the England football team youve got to up yer game smb.
Thank you RiffRaff!

Can you archive the photos please ABEasyTiger?

Looking good for me at the minute :-D - though I've been in this position before during the Earth theme month - was fine until not_spavin started the mind games.

Is it just me or has this month had the 'weakest' entries of the competition so far?

Looking good for me at the minute :-D - though I've been in this position before during the Earth theme month - was fine until not_spavin started the mind games.

Is it just me or has this month had the 'weakest' entries of the competition so far?

I'm not sure if it's the weakest set of entries, but I certainly found it one of the harder themes to work with as I would never have deliberately set out to take something spooky or ghostly otherwise. I guess that's kind of the point of the competition though!

Yes. One or two shots aside, I hoped the entries would have been far more imaginative.

Last edited:

Yeah. It was quite a tough theme, especially given the fact that it's the time of year where we get the least amount of dark nights.

Looks like you've got it in the bag - the rest of us would need you to have a Devon Loch type finish... ;)

Yeah. It was quite a tough theme, especially given the fact that it's the time of year where we get the least amount of dark nights.

Looks like you've got it in the bag - the rest of us would need you to have a Devon Loch type finish... ;)

Surely he can't fuck it up again...can he?!

You'll have to give us a nice tasty theme when you win this one Keeps mate.

I don't think it's been that easy a topic for the time of year, light evenings and no misty mornings in sight. Given the light and weather available, it must have limited the options a great deal. Hardly a graveyard in thought or sight in the end.

So I think the entries were interesting and hope people had fun and some banter. I certainly did with my mrs. ;)

Maybe even some new approaches and techniques were tried out for those that entered which is what I think the comp is more primarily for, the contestants, rather than playing to the gallery (no pun intended).

Maybe, maybe not, who knows.

Last edited:
aye, light nights didnt help, was out till after midnight when i shot mine.

not spavin got my vote, liked his idea the best, pretty well done too.

aye they sure would, but didnt see any as far as i can remember.

A few month back was the last misty morning I remember.

Still, in general, stepping out of the box for one person may be stepping into the box for someone else.

It's all relative and individual.

Still, the sun has got it's hat on......

There have been tons of misty mornings/evenings here over the last month. Evey time I went out to get I shot I ended up getting massively distracted by something else. I got loads of good shots this month - just none for the competition!

I think your photo is the best this month and should win, I don't think it's the weakest month at all. It's just people have been a bit more creative and personally speaking I had to learn how to take mine as I hadn't done anything like his before. Obvioulsy they are gonna look a bit staged as some have said but that's the whole poijnt surely, to try to recreate something spooky.

I think your photo is the best this month and should win, I don't think it's the weakest month at all. It's just people have been a bit more creative and personally speaking I had to learn how to take mine as I hadn't done anything like his before. Obvioulsy they are gonna look a bit staged as some have said but that's the whole poijnt surely, to try to recreate something spooky.

I thought that too.

It's been a nice divergence from more traditional topics.

Also the weather and time of year meant we all had to re-think about what to attempt.

When the topic was first announced someone said they wondered how many would get arrested loitering around graveyards.......

It's been a bit of a fun month and some great entries.

Part of the fun for me was finding things that were just lying around the house somewhere and putting them to use.

Last edited:
Just voted, here are my comments - please take in good faith! :)

Mercia Blackcat - Meets the theme in a ghostly way. A bit staged/1960's horror movie for me but I can't actually fault it. One vote.

Ghost of EH7 - Reminds me of a Stevie Wonder album cover from years back. I didn't get the title? I would have thought Ghosts of Grace Church would have been better. There is one thing that I don't like about this picture and that the ghost looks like a woman in a black bikini bottom, but when you look more closely it is the shadow of the over hanging shirt. :oops::) I know this is your favourite entry (of your entries) but although nearly spooky, it doesn't quite spook me.

China Mackem - really like this one, dolls can be a bit spooky and you have produced a very good picture, I like the eyes being depicted but there is just enough shadowy detail left in the picture too, which makes you look round the frame. One vote. (My vote for you didn't actually register Sorry!)

Bigmac - I like the idea, the ghost on the jetty, but I don't like the execution of the picture. The water on the right of the jetty looks wrong. I do like the use of the tree/leaves framing your picture though.

Cartman - I love this, meets the theme so well, it is completely spooky a man watching a woman sleep like that. The composition is very good too. One slight niggle observation, I would have not had the plug coming out of the teddy's head, I would have moved the teddy to the right of it. A well thought out and taken picture. Picture of the month, One vote.

Billy The Kid - Nearly very good, if you had cropped all the right hand side of the picture off, maybe a slither off the top and got rid of the white balls of light, you would be left with a very good picture, you have the best ghost by a country mile.

Clyde - sorry this just looks like a green jacket with a lantern under the arm. I can see what you were trying to do, but it is far too small in the whole picture. The night sky is a pretty colour though.

Not Spavin - A well done picture. I am guessing, and sorry if I'm wrong, but to get this end result, there was a lot of post production. I am looking at this competition as being able to take photographs (with maybe some post shot enhancement) not who is best at using Photoshop/similar. I think you have succeeded admirably with your final result, but it is not spooky or ghostly. Perhaps if there had been some hot steam from the taps so we had to guess your (or your model's) face was missing in the mirror image may have met the theme better?

Smoker - you said it all. You won last month, then with a nearly identical picture this month you haven't picked up many votes. Ever heard of over egging the cake? There is too much going on in this picture for me.

Mine- I don't always comment on mine, but I know I didn't meet the theme as my picture is neither ghostly nor spooky really. It would have been better if theme was "Alien". I was trying to get some steamy shots in the bathroom but they just didn't work out. Miss being able to open up the lens to to 2.4 for a shallow depth of field. In the end I took a fitting off the light, stuck my alien in and went off round the house trying it in front of different light sources.

janiep - I usually like your composition but this month it has let you down. Your title is the saving grace, without it the picture doesn't work. If you take about a third of the picture off the right, a slither off the left, and if you had got the complete arch in at the top, the composition would be so much stronger (turn your camera round sometimes!). (I do appreciate you had people in the way and you had to work fast) .

Keeps21 - I think you will probably win this month! I don't find the picture particularly ghostly or spooky, but I can see that it does meet the theme. Very well taken and composed. One vote.

Thanks for the vote PB and as usual I find your comments in general very accurate.

Although retro styles have been back in favour for over a year now in the wider world.

I keep trying different things each month which is refreshing for me to break from my previously predominantly urban objective realism style. In fact I don't seem to do much these days that did fall into my main type of documentative snapshot photography of upto a year or so ago.

So the comp is making me think.

My brain hurts......

Just want to reiterate that C&C are most definitely welcome for me. I'm an idiot and I forgot to put this on the entries thread :oops: I'll be posting my thoughts on the entries as soon as the missus gives me a minute's peace so I can concentrate on it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back