Round 6: Ghostly or Spooky. Vote here.

Picture of the Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Re: Round 7: Ghostly or Spooky. Vote here.

Forgot to mention on mine that C&C are very much welcome. Also, is it not round 6?!

I tried to do something slightly different with my shot this month as I expected a lot of long exposures with "ghost" figures in them.

Those I liked (apart from mine, of course):
chinamackem; just could have done with a little more contrast
Billy The Kid: Would have got my vote but the 3 lights were offputting
keeps21: nicely done, and well lit.

For me though, one picture stood out and I liked it so much I'm only voting for 1 this month.

janiep; VERY atmospheric, and the fact that there's no obvious focal point adds to it. To me, this could have been from a Hammer Horror movie or an early Doctor Who. It just gripped me.

I tried to do something slightly different with my shot this month as I expected a lot of long exposures with "ghost" figures in them.

I wanted to avoid this too but realised I'd completely ran out of time so just did the obvious! Mind, the more ghostly element of mine was meant to be the lights from the tower across the water (with the two lights looking like two eyes looking back across the bay) rather than my big ghostly ass!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone for Billy the Kid as I like the perspective and angle of the shot from upstairs. This creates a trapped atmosphere as if there is a more scary moment to yet come.

Three votes from me, as usual.

Ghost of EH7 - A very striking image and treatment, very 'Americana', could be a album art for REM or something. For me, the ghostliness of this suggests a bygone age rather than anything demonic, which is an interesting take on it. My favourite of the month.

Keeps 21 - The most sinister entry of the lot, quite unsettling, really well lit and treated. If the above is album art for REM, then this is Nine Inch Nails. ;)

ThankHeavenForShed7 - There were a few good ghostly double exposure efforts, but this was my favourite of them as I liked the narrative. The two lights in the tower look like eyes, and it gives the impression that the ghost and the tower are communicating in some way - maybe the tower is instructing the ghost to carry out yet more dastardly deeds. :-D

Shit, I've commented on Billy the Kid's entry but it doesn't say C & C welcome.

But what else could I do as it's the one I voted for and some reason why should be given.

I'm not sure about this. It's a comp so all entries should expect some comment somewhere along the line.

No need to take them to heart though and it's not as if we are random posters from around the world but tend to be regulars so can explain the context and value of any critique.

Shit, I've commented on Billy the Kid's entry but it doesn't say C & C welcome.

But what else could I do as it's the one I voted for and some reason why should be given.

I'm not sure about this. It's a comp so all entries should expect some comment somewhere along the line.

No need to take them to heart though and it's not as if we are random posters from around the world but tend to be regulars so can explain the context and value of any critique.

Cheers for voting for me mate, what does C&C welcolm mean like?

Cheers for voting for me mate, what does C&C welcolm mean like?

Comments & Critique I think.

The problem is it might be very well intended and it is from criticism that we learn but it can be a bit offputting for beginners who may be lacking in confidence, as it takes some courage to put your efforts out into the public domain, and may be sensitive to critical comments.

So I suppose it sounds a good idea on second thoughts but you need to put C & C welcome in your post of the pic or others may not comment at all.

Last edited:
Comments & Critique I think.

The problem is it might be very well intended and it is from criticism that we learn but it can be a bit offputting for beginners who may be lacking in confidence, as it takes some courage to put your efforts out into the public domain, and may be sensitive to critical comments.

So I suppose it sounds a good idea on second thoughts but you need to put C & C welcome in your post of the pic or others may not comment at all.

Ahhh reet, i dinit mind C&C and Piss take welcolme

Ghost of EH7 - A very striking image and treatment, very 'Americana', could be a album art for REM or something. For me, the ghostliness of this suggests a bygone age rather than anything demonic, which is an interesting take on it. My favourite of the month.

Thanks for the comment, the bygone age thing was what I tried to get, hence the title of the picture.

I think this is my best entry to date.

For me though, one picture stood out and I liked it so much I'm only voting for 1 this month.

janiep; VERY atmospheric, and the fact that there's no obvious focal point adds to it. To me, this could have been from a Hammer Horror movie or an early Doctor Who. It just gripped me.

Cheers, that means so much. As I posted on the discussion thread, I took it on my phone (blackberry) camera so I am thrilled I managed to get something that someone else has considered praiseworthy.

I also said that I was thinking of getting a DSLR, but I'm actually having second thoughts and wondering if it might be good discipline in terms of developing my skills in considering and composing a shot to just use the phone camera for a while. We shall see!

Cheers, that means so much. As I posted on the discussion thread, I took it on my phone (blackberry) camera so I am thrilled I managed to get something that someone else has considered praiseworthy.

I also said that I was thinking of getting a DSLR, but I'm actually having second thoughts and wondering if it might be good discipline in terms of developing my skills in considering and composing a shot to just use the phone camera for a while. We shall see!

imo while an SLR doesn't make you a better photographer, it forces you learn stuff quicker and teaches you the relationship between the techy side and creative side. The act of buying one didn't improve my shots, but the learning process it took me on certainly did. It also made me significantly poorer, mind you.

Mind, Cartier-Bresson is one of the most revered photographers of all time, but many of his most famous shots are technically 'imperfect'.

Looking at it again today, I can imagine being in the middle of that horror movie and frightened of walking through those doors for fear of what may be behind them, also knowing there's another door or passage just to the left of the shot, what's lurking there?

Looking at it again today, I can imagine being in the middle of that horror movie and frightened of walking through those doors for fear of what may be behind them, also knowing there's another door or passage just to the left of the shot, what's lurking there?

:lol:

At the risk of spoiling the mystique, what actually happened next was that a very fat and jolly man emerged from behind the inner door, saw me taking pics and said "can we help you?". Turned out they were giving a concert in the church that night, and were re-hearsing, and they weren't used to strangers round those parts, and he was thrilled to be talking to anyone even vaguely interested in their concert. I couldn't get away!

And what I really wanted to say to him was "This may sound strange, but I think I have the perfect opportunity for a good photo for an internet message board made up of fans of Sunderland Football Club. You are a very nice, jolly man, but could you just feck off out of the shot for a bit please."

imo while an SLR doesn't make you a better photographer, it forces you learn stuff quicker and teaches you the relationship between the techy side and creative side. The act of buying one didn't improve my shots, but the learning process it took me on certainly did. It also made me significantly poorer, mind you.

Mind, Cartier-Bresson is one of the most revered photographers of all time, but many of his most famous shots are technically 'imperfect'.

Just tried to PM you about your Nokia, but your inbox is full!

FWIW I'd definitely go down the DSLR route - even if it simply results in slowing you down and making you think about each shot.

My photography improved in leaps and bounds when I got mine, for that very reason. It also allows you to control much more and focus on what you want the end result to look like.

Keeps, china and billythekid each get a vote from me.

Nipped out from work on Thursday at 3.00am (i'm nightshift) to a graveyard to try for a stereotypical full moon-graves-mist shot. It's only 10 mins along the m8 from me, but the weather was totally different. Epic fail for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back