Roughest pub in sunderland

in an ideal world aye but thats not always true, i remember bout 15 year back ending up thorney close club on a sunday afternoon session and a particular well known family were playin up, we supped up and left and sure enough half hour later it kicked off with one lad very badly assaulted, chances are he done nowt just wrong place wrong time
Barley water?

Aye - two Persian/Iraqi lads who were messing about with some lads girlfriend.
The lad didn't like it, so he gave one of them a good hiding in the ABC car park behind the Wagon/ABC cinema.
I was once in Ryhope hospital (visiting not getting the electric cap) and I seen that lad a few beds down .It must have been about 1998 and he was in a right state .

Not a pub as such but we used to go in Smudgers near The Fort to see the strippers pre match Roker Park era. It was dog rough in there. I remember reading at the time that someone got stabbed in there, it got burnt down not long after

Shiney row maidens walk/the wheatsheaf

Known locally as Tinkers,that was rough as sandpaper back in the 90s,some good lads but also some idiots would drink in there.

Not sure what it’s like now as I havnt drank in there for years.

Seen a few people carried out there on stretcher to hospital.

Iam sure @Lambchops used to get in there???

Last edited:
Aye, that was it, -bugger me, 1978:eek:.
The ABC car park was the place - you could cut through from the back of Liberty's through to Park Lane.

Just been reading about this, happened the year before I was born. Seems quite strange, in that the only news articles I can find on Google mention three jailed, but no mention of who they were. The only other bits of interest are this thread and a random YouTube video which is quite frankly bizarre!

Was the Painted Wagon what I would have known as Libertys?

Here’s the bizarre video…

Just been reading about this, happened the year before I was born. Seems quite strange, in that the only news articles I can find on Google mention three jailed, but no mention of who they were. The only other bits of interest are this thread and a random YouTube video which is quite frankly bizarre!

Was the Painted Wagon what I would have known as Libertys?

Here’s the bizarre video…
The entrance to the PW and to Liberty's were in different places. But probably were the same pub.

Shiney row maidens walk/the wheatsheaf

Known locally as Tinkers,that was rough as sandpaper back in the 90s,some good lads but also some idiots would drink in there.

Not sure what it’s like now as I havnt drank in there for years.

Seen a few people carried out there on stretcher to hospital.

Iam sure @Lambchops used to get in there???

Was a class pub - not been in for years and reports aren't good

Back