Rot Weiss Essen

4th tier Rot Weiss Essen beat Bundesliga Arminia Bielefeld 1 nil in the first round of the German Cup

Well done to all in Sunderlands twin city.... and we think we've hit the depths...they're in a regional league

Saw RWE in German Cup back in 77 when on footy tour there. They were iirc in tier 2 then.

In pre-season 2010 (I think?) we spent 10 days based in Dusseldorf so some days we'd drive about different cities looking for football grounds to look at and explore including, Dortmund, Bochum, MSV Duisberg, Leverkusen but couldn't find the Essen ground anywhere! We went to Bielefeld, Monchengladbach and Hamlyn for games (Hannover game was played at Hamlyn), stopped off in Paderborn for a couple of pints but not any footy. Love Germany, people are so friendly and way of life just seems so relaxed.

Paderborn played in the park when I lived there in 1982/83..... I appreciated Germany more after I left...had some decent chats with older Germans about the war...I think I got away with it....
Ever get anything interesting out of them? It's something I've always wondered about...

Saw RWE in German Cup back in 77 when on footy tour there. They were iirc in tier 2 then.
Who were you on the Footy tour with mate?
I saw R.W. Essen play in 1974 when visiting Essen with an under 18's group of players, due to the "Twin Town" link. It was a good week,we got well looked after.

Ever get anything interesting out of them? It's something I've always wondered about...
I know second hand from someone who worked in a German care home who was Polish and she said that some of the elderly residents called her a Polish swine and made derogatory comments to her about the war. I think they were confused by dementia, but clearly had some underlying hatred somewhere.

It’s a funny state of affairs re the German generation of that age (those who are left). I’ve had no first hand experience of them. What I would say is that the younger German generations are spot on - very friendly, welcoming etc.
Same here. Massive mistake selling Vedad. Still sick about it me. Irreplaceable and unexplainable sale. Going to be a long hard season I fear.
Probably, although Córdoba just signed and I’m hoping Piatek does well this season. The club needs some stability, the managerial changes last season didn’t help. If we finish top half and beat Union, I’d be pleased enough. I’m hoping to get to one or two games if things open up re Covid. I love visiting Berlin generally and the football is a good add on event.

Last edited:
I know second hand from someone who worked in a German care home who was Polish and she said that some of the elderly residents called her a Polish swine and made derogatory comments to her about the war. I think they were confused by dementia, but clearly had some underlying hatred somewhere.
Slightly off topic, but when my nanna was in Sunderland hospital in about 1995 one of her nurses was a nice German woman and when we first got to the bed-side my nanna pointed at the nurse and loudly said “watch it lads SHE is a German”.

It was embarrassing but then I hadn’t been bombed during WW2.

Slightly off topic, but when my nanna was in Sunderland hospital in about 1995 one of her nurses was a nice German woman and when we first got to the bed-side my nanna pointed at the nurse and loudly said “watch it lads SHE is a German”.

It was embarrassing but then I hadn’t been bombed during WW2.
I honestly wouldn’t mention the war to a German. The vast majority of them have to bear the burden (ie they see it as a burden) and do so very well.

What is scary are the neo-Nazi groups who still exist (in our country too, before we take the moral high ground). I did a guided street tour of Berlin a few months back and the guide was a nice French lady. She lived in the Lichtenberg suburb of Berlin and said it has a far right reputation (that’s not why she moved there) and that there was a big march of neo-Nazis on Hitler’s birthday last year. Her mate was innocently out walking with her child during the march and some policeman came running over and said “what on earth are you doing here, get out of here now”.

Despite that, the guide said she wanted to stay in Berlin, rather than return home to Paris (I’d rather live in Berlin than Paris too).

Despite that, the guide said she wanted to stay in Berlin, rather than return home to Paris (I’d rather live in Berlin than Paris too).
There could be a song about that ....

I have only spent 1 day in Paris and a stag weekend in Berlin but I prefer the latter. What a brilliant, brooding yet (mostly it seems) relaxed city.

I do have some sympathy for the German post-war generations, likewise we’re not to blame for the faults of the British Empire. Maybe that’s why we both connect with Germans, maybe I’m veering into politics.

I had some really good discussions with my landlady who would probably have bee late teens or early 20s in the war years.

I used to ask her if they knew what was going on, and if so why they tolerated it.

She told me that the world was a different place then with no 24 hour news channels (I lived there in 1982 so the internet hadn't been invented) and whilst there were rumours of camps there was no information available to the general population about the detail of what was happening. She also said it was a very authoritarian regime which was popular as it had eradicated unemployment and economic depression, and therefore it would have been a very brave person who spoke out.

I also had a very memorable discussion with an aged German on a train. The train to Cologne from Paderborn started in Leipzig which at that time was in East Germany. The trains were very Miss Marple like with corridors and compartments and as I got on the train and sat with the man, he launched into a speech that had me near to tears. He basically said to me in German "Look at me. Look at my clothes. Look at everything about me. I am an old man near the end of my life. I have no value so I'm allowed to visit the West to see family. The authorities in the East tell the West the citizens of the DDR (East Germany) are all looked after, but they won't let the young people travel to the West because they know they wouldn't come back. We have no hope, we live in poor quality housing and we are dressed in rags.

I learned more from those people than from attending University in Germany and it said a lot to me about the far right and far left.

Most Germans didn't hide from discussions about the war, and in the case of the younger ones, it was a world they had never experienced.

It’s a funny state of affairs re the German generation of that age (those who are left). I’ve had no first hand experience of them. What I would say is that the younger German generations are spot on - very friendly, welcoming etc.

Probably, although Córdoba just signed and I’m hoping Piatek does well this season. The club needs some stability, the managerial changes last season didn’t help. If we finish top half and beat Union, I’d be pleased enough. I’m hoping to get to one or two games if things open up re Covid. I love visiting Berlin generally and the football is a good add on event.

I've got a Polish mate who lives in the Yorkshire Sales and supports SAFC. He's about 40 and doesn't mind Germans but hates Russians

Last edited:

Piatek definitely needs to hit the ground running early (having had half a season already, albeit a very disrupted one). I'd snap your hand off for top half! I can see 13th/14th at best.
Yes same here. We were due to go in May this year but missed out obviously. The whole matchday experience is immense over there. HaHoHe!

The Germans are absolutely spot on like, even the older ones in the same apartment block as I live in are friendly as anything and love asking questions about where I’m from and why I moved to Berlin. Until CoVid I went to the Olympiastadion quite regularly and I must say Ibisevic will be a huge miss. I’ve noticed nobody’s mentioned Cunha yet and I think he’s going to be the star this season if Piatek still doesn’t find his feet, he’s top quality and he’ll go to a bigger club soon. With stable management they can finally join the big boys, however Labbadia is not a good coach (has a habit of trying it on with player’s wives as well!) so perhaps this season is just a transitional one. Fingers crossed though!

In pre-season 2010 (I think?) we spent 10 days based in Dusseldorf so some days we'd drive about different cities looking for football grounds to look at and explore including, Dortmund, Bochum, MSV Duisberg, Leverkusen but couldn't find the Essen ground anywhere! We went to Bielefeld, Monchengladbach and Hamlyn for games (Hannover game was played at Hamlyn), stopped off in Paderborn for a couple of pints but not any footy. Love Germany, people are so friendly and way of life just seems so relaxed.
Saw Duisburg beat Wattenscheid ower 40yrs ago. Still tickles me tbh does Wattenscheid.

Back