Ross's preferred 3 5 2 so far In pre season anyone a fan of it?

Hume is definitely a wingback based on how often he got forward in our games last season. Got a bit of pace to him as well. It's the right side that worries me. And where does McGeady fit into 3-5-2?

Thought that McLaughlin lad looked really tidy last night. Think it'll take a bit more time to drill the patterns of play into them but I am optimistic for 352

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 3-6-1 that we ended up playing. Instead of playing Wyke and Grigg with Maguire behind, we had Wyke or Grigg with Maguire and McGeady behind.

It’s crap. You need 2 pacy strikers who are happy to pull wide.
The number 10 is even more important than usual and the sweeper needs to be amazing at reading the game and have a great range of passing.
So realistically 3-5-2 is a dead formation.
3-4-3 with 2 sets of wide players is still doable, but it’s not ideal with our squad.
All of this is totally pointless if Ross still plans on trying to make the pitch as big as possible and spread everything out.
Perhaps he hasn’t noticed that nearly every team we play against has more athletic players than we do.
Get the defence to grow some balls and get up to the half way line!

Hume is definitely a wingback based on how often he got forward in our games last season. Got a bit of pace to him as well. It's the right side that worries me. And where does McGeady fit into 3-5-2?

It's splitting hairs I know, but it was more 3-4-1-2 in the first half, with Maguire in a free-ish role behind the strikers. I guess that's where McGeady could play.

Last edited:
Too early to tell, and we don't even know our final squad yet. However, in general, it would seem better to adopt a system that gets the best out of the players we have. As it stands right know that would mean fitting to McGeady rather than Wyke or Grigg

It might be wrong, but I was reading last week that McLaughlin mainly played as a wingback for Fleetwood and made it into the L1 Team if the Season playing there before he moved to Milwall.

Back