Rooney Rule on football

Status
Not open for further replies.

How isn’t it

The Rooney Rule is a National Football League policy that requires league teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operation jobs
It doesn't require clubs to give the job to anybody in particular and doesn't require clubs to not interview certain people, either.

Why's that? Can the best people not just be employed regardless of race?

Just think it would be a good thing to see however I fully agree that it should always come down to the best person for the job. Personally I think its not going to make a bit of difference anyway as the idea that clubs are discriminating based on ethnicity is ridiculous.

I always find something like this fails to address the symptom of the issue.

I want the best person to manage my football club. I don’t want the person selected on any other grounds.
They're not. You just need to invite one to interview, then not select him if he isn't the best candidate. For instance, if he is Paul Ince or Sulzeer Campbell.

surely it's just as racist to give someone a job due to their skin colour sas it is to NOT give them a job due to their skin colour?

I think at least one transgender or binary fluid identifier should be interviewed for every job as well.

Is the logic of the Rooney rule that owners aren't necessarily overtly racist (so they don't actively dislike black people), but the game felt closed off to them and that it was hard to break in as the same old (white) faces predominantly got the same jobs.

The Rooney Rule forced owners to consider at least one minority candidate, which opened their eyes to the fact they could be just as good if not better. In turn, it means more black coaches take part as they feel there are less restrictions etc....

I don't see why it could be a bad thing; you aren't forcing anybody to give a job to someone who doesn't deserve it. You only ensure that more people are actively included in the hiring process, which might mean that somebody who was previously not thought of, but who is actually better, will get it. If the minority candidate isn't better, it goes to the person it would have before. There is very little downside.

I don't think Premier League owners are racist as such, but there might be a touch of institutionalised racism in there. For all that Sol Campbell is a f***ing lunatic, he makes a good point; he cannot get a job at all, but the likes of Tony Adams, Gazza and Paul Merson (who are just as mental) all got jobs. If this rule does anything to help turn that around, why's that a bad thing?

Is the logic of the Rooney rule that owners aren't necessarily overtly racist (so they don't actively dislike black people), but the game felt closed off to them and that it was hard to break in as the same old (white) faces predominantly got the same jobs.

The Rooney Rule forced owners to consider at least one minority candidate, which opened their eyes to the fact they could be just as good if not better. In turn, it means more black coaches take part as they feel there are less restrictions etc....

I don't see why it could be a bad thing; you aren't forcing anybody to give a job to someone who doesn't deserve it. You only ensure that more people are actively included in the hiring process, which might mean that somebody who was previously not thought of, but who is actually better, will get it. If the minority candidate isn't better, it goes to the person it would have before. There is very little downside.

I don't think Premier League owners are racist as such, but there might be a touch of institutionalised racism in there. For all that Sol Campbell is a f***ing lunatic, he makes a good point; he cannot get a job at all, but the likes of Tony Adams, Gazza and Paul Merson (who are just as mental) all got jobs. If this rule does anything to help turn that around, why's that a bad thing?

I think most level headed people agree with this. No-one has to hire anyone, or turn down anyone else in their place.

Technically, no. In reality, yes.

It would be interesting to know how many managerial jobs through an interview process. I get the impression there'll be very few.

Take SAFC for example, we only seem to have one candidate per vacancy unless they bin us off.

but at the end of the day you'd still ge the situation where board may go "right here's our top 5 candidates, get Sandra the typist to add a random black manager too"

can't be right

Is there any benefit gained by comparing the number of PL players to PL managers? There seems to very little correlation between managing in the Premier League and playing in it.

Mark Hughes, Slaven Bilic and Pellegrino, but I think the other 17 didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back