Rooney Rule on football

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a load of shite

Paul Ince will be going to loads of job interviews and get turned down everytime, ridiculous to even contemplate the Rooney rule

Last edited:

I thought the Rooney rule was for clubs to at least have some applicants that aren't white.
You could still employ the white man, but what happened was many black coaches impressed at the interview and got jobs they wouldn't have had the chance to even get interviewed for previously.
I could be wrong like, read the article a long time ago.

I thought the Rooney rule was for clubs to at least have some applicants that aren't white.
You could still employ the white man, but what happened was many black coaches impressed at the interview and got jobs they wouldn't have had the chance to even get interviewed for previously.

That's how it works aye.

This is so true. Who will fight for the proportionate representation of the most hated figure in modern society? That of the white, straight, Christian male?

You would have a point if they players in question here weren't earning salaries several times the size of their managers.

You may have indirectly answered your question. Less players from the modern era go into management due to being set for life once they retire.

Given the modern era has been the vehicle for the increase in BAME player representation, then its fair to argue that most of them (along with their white counterparts) don't go into management because they are financially set and therefore don't need to work any more?

I believe the charge levelled is that management is the final area which still holds ethnic-bias. The argument I have seen is that, originally nobody wanted black players on the pitch. Then when their athletic and sporting prowess became evident, they only wanted wingers and forwards, because they couldn't be trusted to be defenders or central midfielders or positions of responsibility. Then when they finally started filling those positions, the feeling was that they couldn't be trusted to be captains. Now they have been given captaincy at almost every club in the land at some point (although Sol still complains about England), the last place they believe that they are "not trusted" by the white establishment is in the managerial position.

I believe there are similar complaints put forward in the USA, i.e. with the Quarter Back position and coaches in the NFL.

surely it has to be done now?

A third of premier league players on the opening day are BAME
3 managers in the entire 92 clubs are

There is a problem

Do you know how many BAME people have the coaching badges required to work in the top flight and what that is as a % of the total? That would be a good starting point for the debate. If, for example, 20% of those were BAME you'd expect the numbers getting into management to be a lot higher, if not in the PL then certainly further down the leagues. If the percentage is tiny then it may suggest simply that less BAME people go into doing coaching badges. You could then, of course, look into why they aren't going into coaching but it would address whether there is actually a problem regarding the number of BAME managers at the present time

I don't know how successful it has been, but I believe that this is how it works. There is no quota for hiring, only a quota for job interviews.

I believe the charge levelled is that management is the final area which still holds ethnic-bias. The argument I have seen is that, originally nobody wanted black players on the pitch. Then when their athletic and sporting prowess became evident, they only wanted wingers and forwards, because they couldn't be trusted to be defenders or central midfielders or positions of responsibility. Then when they finally started filling those positions, the feeling was that they couldn't be trusted to be captains. Now they have been given captaincy at almost every club in the land at some point (although Sol still complains about England), the last place they believe that they are "not trusted" by the white establishment is in the managerial position.

I believe there are similar complaints put forward in the USA, i.e. with the Quarter Back position and coaches in the NFL.

The "Rooney Rule" is named after the Pittsburgh Steelers owner (NFL) who led its implementation, so it's actually an NFL-originating concept, at least as applied to sports. It's not perfect, but it does lead to more black coaching candidates at least getting interviews. And as the number of black players in the NFL has gone up and stayed up, more retired black players are entering the coaching ranks, although the percentages are still not remotely on parity with the players. It's viewed as a qualified success over here.

There are a lot more black QBs now, too. I'm not sure what role the Rooney Rule had in that (none directly, of course), or whether acceptance of the Rule was really just reflective of attitudes that were already changing.

surely it has to be done now?

A third of premier league players on the opening day are BAME
3 managers in the entire 92 clubs are

There is a problem

There was somebody on here a few weeks ago who was saying he saw Chris Kamara giving talk somewhere, and he was asked why there what not more black managers in the game. His response was that it was nothing to do with race, it is just that the people who tend to get management jobs are those who turn up at a match every week and are there getting to know the directors and board members, and are therefore putting themselves in the frame. He said that it just happens that there are not really any black players doing that.

I think that logic actually stands up. I was watching Watford when they appointed Luther Blissett. He was well loved by the Watford fans, but he was always around the club, he was close with the board and that all came above the fact that he did not have the slightest bit of talent for management, and was out of the game. The week before he was appointed Watford's manager, I saw him driving a taxi outside of Watford Junction station.

The same goes for Paul Ince. He has had a few chances, and he has been pretty poor every time. However, he gets to know boards, is very friendly with the high-ups, and like Blissett, he does not overtly carry a chip on his shoulder.

As someone for whom race is not the first thing I can categories people by, really Chris Hughton is the only manager in the BAME category that has performed well. The reality is that there are very few black former players that have stuck around once they have been given the opportunity, and maybe that is because they have tended to be appointed on their profile rather than any indication of management ability. Ryan Giggs was widely regarded to have been a failure in his stint at Man United. Edgar Davids was loved at Barnet as a crazy player-manager, but he just could not get the results. Sol Campbell seems to be interested in shouting about how he is not already one of the top regarded managers in the country than actually doing anything to merit the accolades.

Conversely many BAME categorised players are present and established as pundits in the media.

I think that's the long and short of it, yes.

neoliberal cuckold pseudo racist propaganda
:lol:

So you’re suggesting that non whites should get priority over whites regardless of ability? Someone should come up with a word to describe people with those kind of views
He's not suggesting that.

It would be great to see more diversity in football coaching/management but is there even any proof to show that people are being denied an interview because of their ethnicity? This is what the Rooney rule is suggesting.

Did the pilot scheme that was tested by the Football League in 2016 make any difference at all? If it goes down the route of forcing clubs to give preferential treatment based on ethnicity then that is ludicrous, lets close one can of worms and open another eh?

Why's that? Can the best people not just be employed regardless of race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back