Roomba

How much are they?

I'm using Roomba as a generic term mind, so they vary from about £80 (middle of Lidl special, didn't bother) to about £400 (the full English of robotic vacuum cleaners) but the decent value ones seem to be about £180-£250.

Expensive yes, but if it does the hoovering...worth it

I'm using Roomba as a generic term mind, so they vary from about £80 (middle of Lidl special, didn't bother) to about £400 (the full English of robotic vacuum cleaners) but the decent value ones seem to be about £180-£250.

Expensive yes, but if it does the hoovering...worth it
I suppose it depends on what floor you have.
Near enough our entire house is laminate cos parties ruin carpets.
I can't imagine you get much suction out of it

I got the 671 in the boxing day sale for £215. I love it, set it for 3 times a week while I'm at work. Goes around the house for a couple of hours and most of the time finds its way back to its charging station.
It doesn't map the rooms which is its major downfall so sometimes misses areas

They’re ok. Decent for top up vacuuming but you’ll still have to use a proper vacuum occasionally. We have the roomba programmed to run every 3 days and do a proper vacuum once per fortnight.

Bumping this up since I’ve been getting one recently. We got a Ecovacs 920 which was reduced on Amazon. We have 3 dogs so i hoover every 2 to 3 days and now we have a baby on the way I figured I’d end up doing it everyday and I’m far too lazy for that.

It’s a bit of middle of the road model. The cheaper ones just randomly bounce from wall to wall, the top end ones automatically empty the waste tank into a bigger container and use AI to recognise things left on the floor and avoid them, like cables and dog shit. The model I got has lidar to scan the room then works in a methodical path to get everywhere.

It’s no where near as powerful as my Shark, but that means it’s a lot quieter. So it’s set to automatically go round the downstairs at 7am everyday. It’s done by 7.30 for us getting up. Even though it’s less powerful the floors are spotless. Since it can’t do stairs I’ve put it upstairs every other day while we have lunch and it’s cracked on and done up there.

I’m still going to have to hoover once we week to get into corner it can’t get into but I can’t recommend it highly enough for other lazy people.

Bumping this up since I’ve been getting one recently. We got a Ecovacs 920 which was reduced on Amazon. We have 3 dogs so i hoover every 2 to 3 days and now we have a baby on the way I figured I’d end up doing it everyday and I’m far too lazy for that.

It’s a bit of middle of the road model. The cheaper ones just randomly bounce from wall to wall, the top end ones automatically empty the waste tank into a bigger container and use AI to recognise things left on the floor and avoid them, like cables and dog shit. The model I got has lidar to scan the room then works in a methodical path to get everywhere.

It’s no where near as powerful as my Shark, but that means it’s a lot quieter. So it’s set to automatically go round the downstairs at 7am everyday. It’s done by 7.30 for us getting up. Even though it’s less powerful the floors are spotless. Since it can’t do stairs I’ve put it upstairs every other day while we have lunch and it’s cracked on and done up there.

I’m still going to have to hoover once we week to get into corner it can’t get into but I can’t recommend it highly enough for other lazy people.
How does it avoid falling down the stairs?

I guess you have to leave the doors open for it to get from room to room?

Last edited:
How does it avoid falling down the stairs?

I guess you have to leave the doors open for it to get from room to room?

they all have drop detection so know if they are about to fall then stop and turn round. Yes I leave the doors open so it can work it’s way into every room. This model gives a map on the app with lines for where it’s been.

What you are not considering is the baby thing. Once crawling or walking, you will need to close doors and potentially use baby gates for safety. Not saying you shouldn’t get a roomba as I don’t know your situation, but I know we would find that difficult in our house.

Last edited:
What you are not considering is the baby thing. Once crawling or walking, you will need to close doors and potentially use baby gates for safety. Not saying you shouldn’t get a roomba as I don’t know your situation, but I know we would find that difficult in our house.
It’s set to run while we are all asleep. So when we can go to bed we just open the doors. If we end up with baby gates across some of them at some point then we’ll see if we can come up with a solution.

Back