Roofing materials

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30853

Right, we're having a replacement roof put on a garage. We're in the process of getting quotes from local roofers.

Felt roofing as was has been advised against and the last lot has just fallen apart.

The quotes so far are of two types, rubber (I assume a nitrile rubber with additives to reduce UV and weathering degradation) and fibre glass (I'm guessing a fibre glass - polymer composite similar to that used for boat hulls).

Can the wise SMB explain in a little more detail what these are or give me links about them so I can read up on them? I want to make an informed decision when opting for a given quote.

I've done an internet search and found information for everything but what I want to find.

Right, we're having a replacement roof put on a garage. We're in the process of getting quotes from local roofers.

Felt roofing as was has been advised against and the last lot has just fallen apart.

The quotes so far are of two types, rubber (I assume a nitrile rubber with additives to reduce UV and weathering degradation) and fibre glass (I'm guessing a fibre glass - polymer composite similar to that used for boat hulls).

Can the wise SMB explain in a little more detail what these are or give me links about them so I can read up on them? I want to make an informed decision when opting for a given quote.

I've done an internet search and found information for everything but what I want to find.

Liquid applied plastics such as the Sika range are far better than traditional felt. You may pay a bit more, but you’ll have twenty years plus hassle free operational service.

ones made from rubber and the other ones made from fibreglass

Who’s the local roofers ?

Is the single ply membrane Firestone /Sarnafil.?

Out of the two single ply is better than fibreglass,but both good enough for a garage.

A good felt roofer should guarantee it for 12/14 year. I normally guarantee my felt jobs for that long.

Two layers of underlay running opposite ways then the top coat. With a choice of two colours green or grey slate coloured.

ones made from rubber and the other ones made from fibreglass
This. Just get the fucker hoyed on the roof man.

A good felt roofer should guarantee it for 12/14 year. I normally guarantee my felt jobs for that long.

Two layers of underlay running opposite ways then the top coat. With a choice of two colours green or grey slate coloured.
So you would change a felt roof free of charge after 12year? Give owa lad

Last edited:

This is exactly right, the only problem with garages roofs are because there's no pitch it will pond .( Gathering of water)
Personally a rubber roof it better(EPDM) but more expensive !

Do the job right with plastic coated galvanised sheets, providing you have a slope on the roof.

I work on sites, anything from new schools to factorys. all the flat roofs on the sites i go on are rubber these days. they are very strong and durable, it will cost you more,, but once its done forget about it for 20-30 years.

dont bother with the felt, leave it for the shed roof these days.

I work on sites, anything from new schools to factorys. all the flat roofs on the sites i go on are rubber these days. they are very strong and durable, it will cost you more,, but once its done forget about it for 20-30 years.

dont bother with the felt, leave it for the shed roof these days.

The fibre glass composite roof quote is substantially more than the rubber one. Why would this be then?

We had fibre glass on a south facing extension few years ago. It’s not cheap but I reckon it’ll last forever.

The quote for the rubber roof was just slightly more than I expected. The fibre glass roof is about 20% more.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fibre glass composite roof quote is substantially more than the rubber one. Why would this be then?
not sure mate, im not a roofer.

all i can say is the builds i go on with flat roofs, which are regularly walked on for maintenance issues on air con etc are rubber. what i will say is fibre glass is a hard substance, rubber isn't. id go with the rubber if it was my choice.

Back