Romeo & Juliet

I much prefer the Scottish Play. Plenty of blood and guts and an anti-hero . it's far better than all that wet lovey dovie stuff.

Juliete was only supposed to be 14 anarl so its all a bit too Yewtree for me.

Twelfth Night is canny I can manage all the cross dressing. In Shakespear's day it required a boy to play the part of a girl pretending to be a boy who developes a "close" relationship with a bloke while dressed as a boy but then becomes a girl again who the bloke fancies eventhough as I said the girl is really a boy. These days as women are allowed on stage and play the part of the girl the whole boy/girl/boy /girl/boy thing is completly lost and all you have is girl/boy /girl.

it required a boy to play the part of a girl pretending to be a boy who developes a "close" relationship with a bloke while dressed as a boy but then becomes a girl again who the bloke fancies eventhough as I said the girl is really a boy. These days as women are allowed on stage and play the part of the girl the whole boy/girl/boy /girl/boy thing is completly lost and all you have is girl/boy /girl.

And other Blur lyrics

I once saw a rather great avant garde production of Hamlet (I was a pretentious drama student). My favourite part was the fact that Guildenstern and Rosencrantz were played by one bloke with an extra head, like Zaphod Beeblebrox in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Always quite enjoyed the Leo version.

That one we watched in school where ya get a flash of Juliet's boobs was good anarl. Rather controversial given Hussey's age at the time of filming.

Seen quite a few but by far the worst was Romeo and Juliet by the Crescent Youth Theatre in Brum.

Double header of Henry IV parts I and II at Stratford with Antony Sher as Falstaff probably the best but enjoyed the RSC Macbeth there too. McNulty and Freemon from the Wire doing Othello was decent.

Didn't much care for the muscial version of the Merry Wives of Windsor despite it having an all star cast of Judi Dench, Simon Callow, Alistair MacGowan and Hayden Gwynne. James McAvoy's Macbeth did a couple of the scenes really well but not so good overall.

Edit: Completely forgot about Julius Caesar with Ben Wishaw as Brutus; that was the best by far.

Last edited:
Always quite enjoyed the Leo version.

That one we watched in school where ya get a flash of Juliet's boobs was good anarl. Rather controversial given Hussey's age at the time of filming.
I remember watching that one in school as well when we were about 14. All the lads were shouting for miss to rewind when that bit came on because we’d missed what happened.:oops::lol:

The comedies are hopeless.
The history plays and 'tragedies' are excellent.
Wil had a real insight into the human condition and the corrupting effect of power that is rare today let alone in Elizabethan times.

I remember watching that one in school as well when we were about 14. All the lads were shouting for miss to rewind when that bit came on because we’d missed what happened.:oops::lol:
I'm almost certain some clever so and so rewound it and paused it at the exact right spot.

I remember the 'lesson' well, if you could call it that. It was English Lit, but we were in a French classroom, with an extra from Heartbeat substituting for our regular teacher. Telfer I think you called him.

Seen most of the plays what Shakespeare wrote in my time. The RSC used to do a season at the Theatre Royal and I started going when I was a student in the 80s. Romeo and Juliet isn't a favourite and the fact I've seen Sean Bean as Romeo definitely dates me.

Worst experience - watching Donald Sinden as Othello which was very dubious even at the time. I had the misfortune of sitting in the front row and he spat a lot - some of it landing on my hand. Best performance probably David Tennant's recent ish Hamlet which found a lot of humour in the play.
Anthony Sher as Richard III long time back was incredible. A really good production, but his individual performance playing Richard on crutches, scuttling across the stage like a malevolent spider, was amongst the best I've seen.
I saw that too. He was mesmerising.

Last edited:
Saw West Side Story on Broadway which is basically Romeo and Juliet.

Part of it was in Spanish and I probably understood that bit more than I understand normal Shakespeare.

Saw the RSC do Much Ado About Nothing, Henry 5th and The Taming of the Shrew at the Theatre Royal and enjoyed them.
Saw Romeo and Juliet in London with Lily James as Juliet. Richard Madden was Romeo, except he broke his leg so obviously couldn’t appear. I was fuming because I took my then teenage daughter down to London as a treat to see it and she was gutted that he wasn’t in it.
I’ve never forgiven him 😂

Back