Rolling Stone greatest bassists

Geezer Butler and Les Claypool both way to low. Both take the absolute piss out of Flea yet he sits ahead because he's a more mainstream name

McCartney isn't a bad bassist but he's not exactly great either. He can probably write better songs and sing better than the majority on the list but he shouldn't be int he too 50 just on bass skills.

Geezer Butler and Les Claypool both way to low. Both take the absolute piss out of Flea yet he sits ahead because he's a more mainstream name

McCartney isn't a bad bassist but he's not exactly great either. He can probably write better songs and sing better than the majority on the list but he shouldn't be int he too 50 just on bass skills.
What's this about probably lad

He's the top composer there's been. Plus, he's the standout voice. And, he's a brill guitar player.

What's this about probably lad

He's the top composer there's been. Plus, he's the standout voice. And, he's a brill guitar player.
Well yeah definitely then. But unfortunately this is just about bass players and he's not even close to top 50.

Then again I'd say lyrically Geezer Butler wrote a lot of songs better than a lot McCartney wrote but comparing them two is like apples and oranges. Genres just too far out to really compare the writing.

Last edited:
Nice to see Bootsy up there

Great post, great to see names I've followed for years, great to be shocked at names I'd never heard of. I thought as I scrolled through Pastorius would be No 1 so some delving on spotify to do tonight. Genuine thanks for posting.

He invented modern melodic bass playing in rock music. He's f***ing brilliant.

Surely The Rolling Stones greatest bassist was the guy who replaced Bill Wyman :)

Last edited:
Paul McCartney ahead of the likes of Stanley Clarke :lol:
McCartney only at 9 more like. I love Entwhistle but he was nowt next to the inventiveness of Macca. Clarke is virtuoso but doesn't serve the song so much as show off his brilliance, he has "a sound". McCartney played bass as a backbeat, as a counter melody, as a lead instrument and as part of a rhythm section.

Last edited:
McCartney only at 9 more like. I love Entwhistle but he was nowt next to the inventiveness of Macca. Clarke is virtuoso but doesn't serve the song so much as show off his brilliance, he has "a sound". McCartney played bass as a backbeat, as a counter melody, as a lead instrument and as part of a rhythm section.
Have a look at The Ox's playing here, pretty awesome. Sound starts at about 1-minute.

Back