Rolling blackouts

I can’t get my head around the basics of this. Will they literally just turn the power off?
IMO They will pay folk not to use it, at first anyway, likely only for smart meter customers that can be monitored. They can't just shut down energy wholesale in towns/cities as some key infrastructures will still need it.

We should be building 10 or so nuclear reactors and just get on with it instead of fannying about.
The issue now is that in (probably) 6 years time we’ll be able to build small modular reactors at a fraction of the cost of a traditional plant. Plus the build time will be almost the same if we started now. So they’re gambling on SMRs becoming the viable option.

In reality, we should have started building new reactors in 1994 (to replace Chapelcross) and 2002 (to replace Wylfa). There’d have then been a hectic few years replacing Hunterston, Heysham and Hartlepool which were given extended lifelines. Realistically with the excess energy we’d have been producing thanks to the extensions given to current operating plants, we’d now be in a position to sell our electricity to other countries while waiting for the SMRs to come on line, had the replacements for the offgoing reactors been built in time for their original end dates.

Come the late 20s, early 30s I’m confident we’ll be fine with the SMRs but it’s a long wait till then.

IMO They will pay folk not to use it, at first anyway, likely only for smart meter customers that can be monitored. They can't just shut down energy wholesale in towns/cities as some key infrastructures will still need it.
Key infrastructure will have back up diesel generators. They manage to shut off power to areas of cities and areas of the country on a daily rolling basis in South Africa. I can't see why they won't be able to do that here

I remember during the power cuts in the 70’s a friends mam saying “well I don’t mind sitting watching telly in the dark” 🤣
Stupid thing is, I saw this thread and thought similar. Like, oh well I don't mind so long as I can put the telly on and watch it wrapped in a blanket.

It could be worse, we could be an EU country. Jesus.
Probably should let people here do the same.

Back