Rolling blackouts

We needed them anyway and the hard work in terms of lobbying must have been done anyway but the government wanted the private sector to foot the bill while offering them uneconomic guaranteed electricity price.

With present crisis I'd imagine now is perfect time to authorise 5 reactors on existing nuclear sites where people aren't that bothered.
And those 5 stay under Government control.
Not nationalising the whole industry, but giving the Government a certain amount of control, for situations like we find ourselves now.👍

Or just imagine how ridiculous it would be if every government since the 2nd world war had ignored energy security not just the last 12 years. Surely at least one of them must have done something about?
No?
The last Labour government approved the building of a new nuclear power station. The coalition government (lead by Cameron) scrapped it.

If I was to undertake a search of your posting history, would I find anything that suggests the world is at risk due to Russia invading Ukraine prior to February 2022?

I’m not a Tory by any means, but I suspect your quoted post is very reactionary rather than informed.
The decision was a a massive gamble that shouldn’t have been made, any number of events could have lead to a need to have a good supply of stored gas. We used to store gas so we wouldn’t run out, it doesn’t take a genius or clairvoyant to realise this. Oh and did you miss the 2014 invasion?

Last edited:
I lived in South Africa for a few years and load shedding was/is the norm. Not enough power being generated for the demand. It’ll be a pain if the UK has to introduce the same. 😒

Mate, unless you are only 12, which I doubt, you have lived through inept governments from both right and left.
None of them have done anything to prevent where we are now.
Are you telling me that wholesale privatisation through the 1980's was not short sighted, let alone the mismanagement of the North Sea Oil windfall. Not to mention the current clusterfuck since 2010, I will say that apart from Ken Clarke at the end of the Major era, the party of fiscal responsiblity has been anything but.

Are you telling me that wholesale privatisation through the 1980's was not short sighted, let alone the mismanagement of the North Sea Oil windfall. Not to mention the current clusterfuck since 2010, I will say that apart from Ken Clarke at the end of the Major era, the party of fiscal responsiblity has been anything but.
It's not my place to tell you, or anybody anything marra. What I am saying is, that we are in the shit. Not hoying blame around.
Wholesale privatisation was wrong. Not re nationalising it under a Labour government was wrong. The economic plan hasn't only been a clusterfuck for the last 12 years as you conveniently point. It has been fucked for many years prior to that.
So long as people just point fingers and play playground "it wasn't me, it was him " games, as a country we are not going to get any better than we are now.
Everybody just need to grow up, and sort this shit out.

Last edited:
We needed them anyway and the hard work in terms of lobbying must have been done anyway but the government wanted the private sector to foot the bill while offering them uneconomic guaranteed electricity price.

With present crisis I'd imagine now is perfect time to authorise 5 reactors on existing nuclear sites where people aren't that bothered.
There would be one being built on Angelsey if the Government could have agreed a deal with the Japanese (Hitachi) to build it.

I lived in South Africa for a few years and load shedding was/is the norm. Not enough power being generated for the demand. It’ll be a pain if the UK has to introduce the same. 😒
We've just got back from SA, load shedding is still the norm

Back