Rolex Watches

If one was torn between the Explorer 36mm 14270 (second hand), the Explorer 39mm 214270 (new) and the Air-King 40mm 116900 (new), where would the smart money go?

@Titus you may be able to advise here?

If one was torn between the Explorer 36mm 14270 (second hand), the Explorer 39mm (new) and the Air-King 40mm 116900 (new), where would the smart money go?

@Titus you may be able to advise here?

I assume we're talking from a perspective of appreciation/depreciation?

I would personally go with the Air King, although I think the difference between those two in that regard is would be minimal and personal choice would be the main thing. There's only a slight different in the movements they use.

If things continue as they are, you won't lose much/anything if you want to sell anyway. I made 10% profit on one I bought back end of 2019 not too long back. Not sure how long they'll keep increasing in such a way mind and obviously the easier it is to buy direct from retailer, the less it will appreciat

I assume we're talking from a perspective of appreciation/depreciation?

I would personally go with the Air King, although I think the difference between those two in that regard is would be minimal and personal choice would be the main thing. There's only a slight different in the movements they use.

If things continue as they are, you won't lose much/anything if you want to sell anyway. I made 10% profit on one I bought back end of 2019 not too long back. Not sure how long they'll keep increasing in such a way mind and obviously the easier it is to buy direct from retailer, the less it will appreciat

This is all on Chrono24 I might add. Don't suppose that makes a difference, or if you know a seller that has a good rep?

This is all on Chrono24 I might add. Don't suppose that makes a difference, or if you know a seller that has a good rep?

It's a reputable website, but you could probably get slightly cheaper in London if I'm honest mate, just based on whenever I've looked on Chrono and watchfinder versus the quotes you'd likely get in person. Can't help you with specific sellers on Chrono24, just make sure you always buy with the box and papers/card depending on year as it can be easy to forget or not notice when buying from these sites that it's missing papers/card/box which will wipe a massive chunk of value off the watch.

It's a reputable website, but you could probably get slightly cheaper in London if I'm honest mate, just based on whenever I've looked on Chrono and watchfinder versus the quotes you'd likely get in person. Can't help you with specific sellers on Chrono24, just make sure you always buy with the box and papers/card depending on year as it can be easy to forget or not notice when buying from these sites that it's missing papers/card/box which will wipe a massive chunk of value off the watch.

Might have to have a dodge down Hatton Gardens. Cheers.

Might have to have a dodge down Hatton Gardens. Cheers.

I'll DM you a few recommendations if you do end up going there. There's plenty to avoid around there, especially now that it's so popular. Plenty of the 'sellers' advertising online are just in some tiny little office or indoor market type thing. Plenty of them are sharing from the same pool of stock and just adding a drink on top, so if you've got an idea of who the actual traders are then you can make sure you're not letting somebody unnecessarily profit off you because they don't/can't keep much stock on hand

I'll DM you a few recommendations if you do end up going there. There's plenty to avoid around there, especially now that it's so popular. Plenty of the 'sellers' advertising online are just in some tiny little office or indoor market type thing. Plenty of them are sharing from the same pool of stock and just adding a drink on top, so if you've got an idea of who the actual traders are then you can make sure you're not letting somebody unnecessarily profit off you because they don't/can't keep much stock on hand

Yes please do. I'll probably have a dodge down at the weekend.
@LondonMackem did you get that gold Datejust in the end?

Last edited:
Just glancing at this thread. Have you any idea what the Rolex shops are like in duty free, such as at Heathrow Airport? Do they stock a decent range?

Yes please do. I'll probably have a dodge down at the weekend.
@LondonMackem did you get that gold Datejust in the end?

I can't message for whatever reason, but feel free to DM me and I'll give you a few heads up on the more reputable people along there and people who pay for their stock upfront and can offer better prices
Just glancing at this thread. Have you any idea what the Rolex shops are like in duty free, such as at Heathrow Airport? Do they stock a decent range?

Not many Rolex shops stock a decent range really, it's why the after market is so crazy. I guess it depends on what model you're after, as there's some that you'd have a better chance of getting (smaller faced ones typically). However, I do believe the airport shops have the odd gem in them. It's probably different now mind, people travelling all over the place to hoover them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't message for whatever reason, but feel free to DM me and I'll give you a few heads up on the more reputable people along there and people who pay for their stock upfront and can offer better prices

Not many Rolex shops stock a decent range really, it's why the after market is so crazy. I guess it depends on what model you're after, as there's some that you'd have a better chance of getting (smaller faced ones typically). However, I do believe the airport shops have the odd gem in them. It's probably different now mind, people travelling all over the place to hoover them up.
If I was buying one it would be something with a smaller face anyhow so will take a look next time I fly out of Heathrow.

I thought you were Longines through and through. You never see people wearing JLC either, adds to the appeal.
Can't remember when I first saw the jaeger but I really wanted it. As you say you don't see many kicking about either. Watches of Switzerland had an amazing deal on and I'd just cancelled my 40th party so thought yeah fuck it.

They used to make a 35 but couldn't really source one that I liked.

Back