Rolex Watches

I think the investment thing is a bit of a red herring to justify the expenditure. Lots of luxury watches hold or increase in value over time but for many people that’s not even close to the prime motivation to splash out for one. The benefits are that if you’re in a bind you can make a small profit or if you like flipping them you can buy and sell and if you’re careful you won’t be get stung. But there are much more secure and profitable ways to invest, the problem is you only own piece of paper not a precisely engineered tasty bit of kit.

I need to get round to making a will. My wife wears an Apple Watch and I have one daughter. I’d like it if she shows an interest and if she likes the idea of wearing her dad’s watch one day (maybe the WAG Daytona) I’d like that. The others can be sold off or I might leave them to my brothers / mates. I’m not looking to cash out on them!

You need to know what you are doing though mate as lots of high end watches will lose value pretty quickly. I know lads that have lashed out on watches without any research and have bought duds.

Cheers for the replies. I can understand that some models will be demand outstripping supply for the reasons you mention above but I was slightly baffled why certain models being regularly mentioned (even just on here) would gain in value when it looks like they're easy enough to get hold of. It does seem to buck the trend for depreciation in luxury items (although jewellery might also be an exception). I suppose by constantly bring out limited runs then it becomes a sort of 'bubble' where things become 'must have' just because (something the record industry clicked on to and then overdid).

Interesting stuff.

The vast majority of luxury watches will lose value mate, but compared to other purchases, they should still get a decent return.

Last edited:

Was looking here (Japan) yesterday at Rolex Batman & Pepsi. Second hand, although both less than a year old. Batman was $13,000 and the Pepsi $15,000.
I know you simply can't buy a new one or, in most cases even join a waiting list, but close on 50% premium is just madness.
They also have a Daytona, which is 3 years old, and they want $25,000.
They did have a brand new Air King which was about a grand over RRP. Very nearly bought it. Really smart just wasn't 100% so decided to sleep on it which probably means talk myself out of it.
Logon or register to see this image

Was looking here (Japan) yesterday at Rolex Batman & Pepsi. Second hand, although both less than a year old. Batman was $13,000 and the Pepsi $15,000.
I know you simply can't buy a new one or, in most cases even join a waiting list, but close on 50% premium is just madness.
They did have a brand new Air King which was about a grand over RRP. Very nearly bought it. Really smart just wasn't 100% so decided to sleep on it which probably means talk myself out of it.
you must have some coin for a scruffy fkn gravy stain

Been on the waiting list for an Explorer for over 6 months. Shite.

Went for a Seiko chrono "save the ocean". Looks just as good as any other divers watch except it was @£300 rather than £1000's. I can't justify paying ten times more for a watch that was hand-made by a Frenchman rather than made in Japanese factory. A colleague pointed out that it only goes to 200m water resistance, unlike his Brietling that can go down to 300m. Useful if you a whale I suppose.

I don't like the Batman, but the GMT is an excellent choice. Got the discontinued stainless one a few weeks ago.

The Batman you won't get on a watching list anyway, you'd have to get the 'Batgirl' (126710BLNR) the 1167 Oyster Bracelet is now discontinued and GMTs look ugly with Jubilee imo.

What about a Submariner? They are very similar to GMTs, they just have an unpolished bracelet, but still have the rotating bezel and aren't discontinued in most models, so can probably pick up a better second hand deal if you want to swerve the waiting lists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went for a Seiko chrono "save the ocean". Looks just as good as any other divers watch except it was @£300 rather than £1000's. I can't justify paying ten times more for a watch that was hand-made by a Frenchman rather than made in Japanese factory. A colleague pointed out that it only goes to 200m water resistance, unlike his Brietling that can go down to 300m. Useful if you a whale I suppose.

So bitter. So jealous.

ye

Aye, that does look shite, but I think putting a £4 NATO strap on a high end watch is a good look when the strap is the right size.

Agreed. I've got that strap on my SKX013, one that fits though. I like to wear it when I'm pretending to be a knock off Japanese James Bond.

Back