Rolex Watches

Never bought it for an investment mate purely because it’s a watch that will last a long time and they always look good no matter how old
The fact they don’t lose value is a bonus
I paid 3k for a watch 10 years ago the watch is now 6k to buy new or they sell for around 4.5k 2nd hand
I will never sell just pass it onto my son

What are we talking about mate, Hublot? Which model do you have?

I like too many different watches that it doesn't make sense for me to spend that sort of money on something that tanks in value because I'd be gutted when selling it :lol:

Seems a bit needy to me, wanting to wear an expensive watch. For investment purposes fair enough, but if you think it makes people think 'wow' you're very wrong.

Wouldn't mind a decent watch if I'm ever not broke in the future. Seems similar to buying a guitar; you get to enjoy them and you can cash in on them later if you need to.

£3k and the like seems a lot, but folk spend £1,000s on ephemeral shite like laptops, phones etc. that'll be lying in a landfill in 10 years.
Aye, but phones and laptops do lots of stuff, other than tell the time. If you work on a laptop 8 hours a day, buying a decent one is a good idea. How many times do you look at your watch?

Last edited:
Seems a bit needy to me, wanting to wear an expensive watch. For investment purposes fair enough, but if you think it makes people think 'wow' you're very wrong.

Exact same with every niche personal interest somebody might have tbf. I feel the same about cars.

Tbh both my proper watches sit in a winder everyday. The superocean and an IWC Portuguese automatic. I wear a garmin running watch everyday!

Would probably get rid of the iwc but it’s dropped it value terribly but I bought it cause I’ve always loved them

I generally don’t like Breitlings as they just look way too busy on the dial but I sat next to a lad on an aeroplane who had a really tasty looking one. I looked it up, it was a superocean heritage chronograph with two side by side subdials. Date at six o clock. Basketweave strap with a blue dial. I think they use the same movement in one of the new Tudor chronographs. Once my GMT Pepsi comes in I need to stop looking st watches but that would be tempting as a daily wearer.

I had a IWC portugeser Yacht Club World Timer. Great looking watch but it was MASSIVE - it’s really two watches in one - and after a while I decided I don’t really care what time it is in Riyadh or Bangkok so I flipped it. Used the dough for the reissued Heuer Autavia chrono which has a rotating 1-12 bezel so I can set it for another time zone when I’m travelling.

I generally don’t like Breitlings as they just look way too busy on the dial but I sat next to a lad on an aeroplane who had a really tasty looking one. I looked it up, it was a superocean heritage chronograph with two side by side subdials. Date at six o clock. Basketweave strap with a blue dial. I think they use the same movement in one of the new Tudor chronographs. Once my GMT Pepsi comes in I need to stop looking st watches but that would be tempting as a daily wearer.

I had a IWC portugeser Yacht Club World Timer. Great looking watch but it was MASSIVE - it’s really two watches in one - and after a while I decided I don’t really care what time it is in Riyadh or Bangkok so I flipped it. Used the dough for the reissued Heuer Autavia chrono which has a rotating 1-12 bezel so I can set it for another time zone when I’m travelling.

I think 41mm is my limit mind. Maybe a 44mm but some of the Brietlings are too big for me and like you say, often have too much going on imo.

Exact same with every niche personal interest somebody might have tbf. I feel the same about cars.
Spot on mate.

Every time the subject of expensive watches comes up this subject comes along with it.

If you’re not into expensive watches that’s absolutely fine. It is perfectly logocal to think it ridiculous to spend thousands on amazingly refined yet outdated technology just to know the time which is on every phone and computer screen.

But if you can afford it, you have that disposable income and you like ‘nice things’ why not?

I remember looking st Vertu phones in a shop window, made from mineral glass, carbon fibre and rich Corinthian leather. Yet like all phones the inner tech would be outdated within months. Who would buy such a thing? The bloke who’s loaded with dough and already paid for his house, cars, boat, holiday home, kids’ college funds, and a closet full of slick threads. He wants the best of everything and if that includes a ludicrously priced soon to be obsolete mobile phone so be it.

I’d love to see the Winston Smith lifestyles of people who have disdain for any kind of luxury or indulgence. Living in a grey painted gaff using orange crates for furniture, buying all their tackle at primark, driving a Skoda, drinking Kestrel lager and rolling their own tabs. Mustn’t spend any money on anything remotely luxurious, wouldn’t want anyone to think theyre a gullible, profligate libertine.

There’s loads of luxuries that I’m not interested in, and experts / nerds of every kind - wine or whisky, cigars, watches, cars, fountain pens, stereo equipment, you name it. I was amazed at one of the lads on here spending several grand each year to spend weeks at the Disney parks which doesn’t interest me in the least but as long as you’re not putting your family in the poor house knock yourself out. Horses for courses innit?

Aaah but did he sell the Sekonda later for what he paid for it or a profit?

BTW I don’t know if watches will be as much of a lasting investment in the future as fewer kids seem to wear one because the time is on their phones. Plus they need a bigger % of their wealth to attempt putting a roof ower the heads than my generation ever did. Though I suppose the flash bastard gene is instilled deep in the human genome.
I have no problem with people spending their money on watches if that's what they like but I'm interested in your point about the regularly brought out idea of 'investment'. Judging from what must be a tiny cross-section of watch afficiandos who post on here then there must be thousands of certain types of watch that are supposedly always gaining in value. How does this work? Being a bloke, I totally get the 'collecting gene' thing but don't quite understand how every single watch mentioned on here (some many times) goes up in value?

I have no problem with people spending their money on watches if that's what they like but I'm interested in your point about the regularly brought out idea of 'investment'. Judging from what must be a tiny cross-section of watch afficiandos who post on here then there must be thousands of certain types of watch that are supposedly always gaining in value. How does this work? Being a bloke, I totally get the 'collecting gene' thing but don't quite understand how every single watch mentioned on here (some many times) goes up in value?

I think the investment thing is a bit of a red herring to justify the expenditure. Lots of luxury watches hold or increase in value over time but for many people that’s not even close to the prime motivation to splash out for one. The benefits are that if you’re in a bind you can make a small profit or if you like flipping them you can buy and sell and if you’re careful you won’t be get stung. But there are much more secure and profitable ways to invest, the problem is you only own piece of paper not a precisely engineered tasty bit of kit.

I need to get round to making a will. My wife wears an Apple Watch and I have one daughter. I’d like it if she shows an interest and if she likes the idea of wearing her dad’s watch one day (maybe the WAG Daytona) I’d like that. The others can be sold off or I might leave them to my brothers / mates. I’m not looking to cash out on them!

I think the investment thing is a bit of a red herring to justify the expenditure. Lots of luxury watches hold or increase in value over time but for many people that’s not even close to the prime motivation to splash out for one. The benefits are that if you’re in a bind you can make a small profit or if you like flipping them you can buy and sell and if you’re careful you won’t be get stung. But there are much more secure and profitable ways to invest, the problem is you only own piece of paper not a precisely engineered tasty bit of kit.

I need to get round to making a will. My wife wears an Apple Watch and I have one daughter. I’d like it if she shows an interest and if she likes the idea of wearing her dad’s watch one day (maybe the WAG Daytona) I’d like that. The others can be sold off or I might leave them to my brothers / mates. I’m not looking to cash out on them!
I totally get the collecting thing and fair enough if it's just an added bonus that they at least hold their value.

Ms. Z collects vintage shoes which can sometimes throw up astonishing bargains although they just seem like clutter to me.

Certain models of Rolex for example the demand will exceed the manufacturers production, so the second hand price will end up higher to skip the waiting list. Certain models will be discontinued etc. Just over a year ago I was in a watch dealers not long after the chocolate face Skydweller was discontinued - they had frozen their stock for a few days and think it went up by £8k

Last year Rolex also announced an average price increase of 5%.

I totally get the collecting thing and fair enough if it's just an added bonus that they at least hold their value.

Ms. Z collects vintage shoes which can sometimes throw up astonishing bargains although they just seem like clutter to me.

When I say investment I mean simply that I'm putting my money in to something that shouldn't depreciate. A rarity when it comes to 'luxury' items that people spend their money on

Back