Rolex Watches

Grey market doesn't have much demand and they end up sitting in the safe for a while for a low margin sale, so as a result there's a better chance you'll find them in a AD.

Sorted, was in and out of the shop in no time. Hadn’t even realised I could claim about a grand back as a tax rebate.

Managed to ding it off a table within about three hours of having it on my wrist trying to catch a menu that blew off the table. Glad to get the first scratch out of the way.

Over the moon with it. Told me to come back over next year to get the Explorer, reckoned they could order it in for me. They had loads of stock mind.

Sorted, was in and out of the shop in no time. Hadn’t even realised I could claim about a grand back as a tax rebate.

Managed to ding it off a table within about three hours of having it on my wrist trying to catch a menu that blew off the table. Glad to get the first scratch out of the way.

Over the moon with it. Told me to come back over next year to get the Explorer, reckoned they could order it in for me. They had loads of stock mind.

What did you get exactly in the end mate?

Aye, good to get that first scratch out of the way :D Like I was saying previously, certain watches are 'sitters' and it's nothing to do with whether they are good watches, it's purely dictated by hype for certain models and subsequent desire for people with 'good relationships' with ADs ensuring they don't see the inside of a AD display cabinet and go straight to grey market traders. If you happen to like a model that is a sitter, it's much better as a buyer. It may not appreciate much, but that should be a secondary concern when buying a timepiece imo.

Because of the current state of 'the market', certain ADs have been caught directly trying to sell desirable pieces above retail and no doubt subsequently lose their AD status.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe how much the market's changed over the last few years.

5 years ago was it was about a 4 weeks wait on an Explorer II and was sat in Goldsmiths Newcastle with both the white and black trying to decide which one to buy...In hindsight, should have bought both, plus the Milgauss he was trying to tempt me with!

Latest purchase was up for 30% over retail, and ended up 15% and I was ower the moon, considered it a bargain :)

5 years ago was it was about a 4 weeks wait on an Explorer II and was sat in Goldsmiths Newcastle with both the white and black trying to decide which one to buy...In hindsight, should have bought both, plus the Milgauss he was trying to tempt me with!

Latest purchase was up for 30% over retail, and ended up 15% and I was ower the moon, considered it a bargain :)

Over 20 years ago in Switzerland

Sub
Sub date
Sea Dweller

All in stock and available at a discount.

With hindsight….

Was less than 10 years ago when one of my mates got a GMT master ii for around 3k. Same one now is ~9k. Even ones from the same year he bought it will easily be over 8k :lol:

Chocolate skydwellers must be up by around 15k in around 3 years. Olive day dates seeing ridiculous increases at the moment.

The Instagram effect...

Last edited by a moderator:
Was less than 10 years ago when one of my mates got a GMT master ii for around 3k. Same one now is ~9k. Even ones from the same year he bought it will easily be over 8k :lol:

Chocolate skydwellers must be up by around 15k in around 3 years. Olive day dates seeing ridiculous increases at the moment.

The Instagram effect...
Think I paid £5.5k for the Explorer in 2016…..wore it daily for 5 years, sold it to the evil that is Watchfinder for £8.2k and they now have it up for £10k :)

They did price match what I was part-ex’ing against, which made it justifiable, but aye, I know I’m part of the problem! :)

WAS FLICKING THROUGH sKY LAST NIGHT AND CAME ACROSS aMERICAS aNTIQUES rOADSHOW. an ex serviceman had bought a Dayton in 1974 - an oyster version which was rare at the time.
he paid $375 and still had all thye paperwork and had never worn it- it was valued at $700,000 !!

Back