Rolex Watches

Like other have said, lovely watches just difficult to get your hands on one you want. Been chasing a batman for what feels like an eternity, partially playing the AD game with their lists and so on but theres no chance I'm buying something i don't want or jewellery to push myself up a list.

Got a milestone coming up this year and push come to shove I'll go to another brand or go grey.

Bought an Explorer II 5 years back, was about a 6 week wait from an AD At RRP.

Have worn it daily and love it, but the part-ex prices at the mo, have persuaded me to flip it.

Getting 60% more than I paid, part-ex’d against a new bi-metal black faced sub. They also agreed to price match a watch on sale elsewhere meaning it’s now £2k more than RRP...bandits :) :)

But...Get it next week instead of next decade which seems to be the going rate for a Rolex sports via an AD

obviously they are mate very in demand hence virtually tripling value in 6 years and long waiting lists for which you normally have to have a decent purchasing history with the shop to even get on a waiting list that’s definitely Northern goldsmiths policy
Can’t speak for other watch makes but Rolex are definitely an investment piece

They are discontinued now. As is the traditional 'Batman'. Can only get the jubilee rather than the Oyster (still the same watch like, just nowhere near as nice with jubilee imo).

obviously they are mate very in demand hence virtually tripling value in 6 years and long waiting lists for which you normally have to have a decent purchasing history with the shop to even get on a waiting list that’s definitely Northern goldsmiths policy
Can’t speak for other watch makes but Rolex are definitely an investment piece
The fact is the actual product is not worth 16 grand, nowhere near. For 3k more than that ridiculous grey price, you can get a magnificent hand finished piece from one of the holy trinity.
Rolex are the masters of marketing and people have fell for it hook line and sinker. Also buying a watch as an investment piece is fekking sacrilege man, they should be bought to wear and enjoy. The reason they’re unobtainable is people well in with the AD’s are hoarding them forcing the prices up.
still if you can get some fuckwit to pay a 9k mark up on an average product then happy days I suppose.

The fact is the actual product is not worth 16 grand, nowhere near. For 3k more than that ridiculous grey price, you can get a magnificent hand finished piece from one of the holy trinity.
Rolex are the masters of marketing and people have fell for it hook line and sinker. Also buying a watch as an investment piece is fekking sacrilege man, they should be bought to wear and enjoy. The reason they’re unobtainable is people well in with the AD’s are hoarding them forcing the prices up.
still if you can get some fuckwit to pay a 9k mark up on an average product then happy days I suppose.
Despite really liking Rolex, I agree with you ref. marketing and hype. And it’s a pisser that you can’t walk into an AD and pick a watch you like, pay for it and have it on your wrist before leaving the shop...but how do Rolex combat this? They are making the watches, they just aren’t getting to the end consumer directly. So how do they manage the AD....or is it all part of the plan to make the yearly increases seem
OK. All brands do it though (think Nike, SI, Supreme)

Guess I’m part of the problem, made a few quid on one by luck rather than plan, flipped it and buying another from the grey market, at inflated price....as that’s all that’s available and know if I settled for something else would probs regret it.

Issue I have is that as it’s worth a lot more, I may be a little more cautious about wearing it...and don’t want that to be the case. Meant to be a daily watch, not sat in it’s box.

They are discontinued now. As is the traditional 'Batman'. Can only get the jubilee rather than the Oyster (still the same watch like, just nowhere near as nice with jubilee imo).

If you spent two minutes having a look at their website, you’d find they’ve reintroduced the BLNR GMT with the Oyster bracelet this year.

If you spent two minutes having a look at their website, you’d find they’ve reintroduced the BLNR GMT with the Oyster bracelet this year.

f***ing hell :lol:

Soz that I missed the news by a month mate.

Keep up at the back of the class....😉

You’re regarding the choice of bracelet mind.

Rolex have played even more of a blinder than I thought with that news then. Was a lot of hoarding of certain models with jewellers screaming it was due for the chop in April. Instead they brought back a recently discontinued bracelet :cool:

Despite really liking Rolex, I agree with you ref. marketing and hype. And it’s a pisser that you can’t walk into an AD and pick a watch you like, pay for it and have it on your wrist before leaving the shop...but how do Rolex combat this? They are making the watches, they just aren’t getting to the end consumer directly. So how do they manage the AD....or is it all part of the plan to make the yearly increases seem
OK. All brands do it though (think Nike, SI, Supreme)

Guess I’m part of the problem, made a few quid on one by luck rather than plan, flipped it and buying another from the grey market, at inflated price....as that’s all that’s available and know if I settled for something else would probs regret it.

Issue I have is that as it’s worth a lot more, I may be a little more cautious about wearing it...and don’t want that to be the case. Meant to be a daily watch, not sat in it’s box.
I was talking to a lad who got his hand on a Daytona at list price. His wife is best mates with wife of local prem league footballer who used his contacts to get it (still had to wait a canny while) and the first time he wore it he said it ruined his night. He was paranoid he’d lose it or get mugged and he woke up a few times in a cold sweat dreaming he’d smashed it. What good is that man? I dare say he’d be enjoying it thoroughly if he walked in a shop and bought it at rrp. These massively inflated prices are a curse for people who bought them for what they are and not as an investment.
As for what Rolex could do? Nowt, why would they want to? They’re guaranteed to get shot of every sports model they produce. it wasn’t that long ago you could walk in to an AD and get subs for rrp, one lad i know is kicking himself for not buying one that has a bit discount about 10 or 15 years ago. He’s now on this mythical waiting list for a no date sub and can’t get hold of one despite spending a fortune in the AD on iwc and omega in the past.
The way I see it is any brand that has their AD’s treat customers like shite, having them “build relationships” to even get on said mythical waiting list can go and fuck themselves.

I was talking to a lad who got his hand on a Daytona at list price. His wife is best mates with wife of local prem league footballer who used his contacts to get it (still had to wait a canny while) and the first time he wore it he said it ruined his night. He was paranoid he’d lose it or get mugged and he woke up a few times in a cold sweat dreaming he’d smashed it. What good is that man? I dare say he’d be enjoying it thoroughly if he walked in a shop and bought it at rrp. These massively inflated prices are a curse for people who bought them for what they are and not as an investment.

Aye, I get that....all relative though, bought a seamaster 20 years ago in CDG during a layover, arrived in Boston, dropped bags off in hotel room and managed to ding the 8hr old watch on the closing lift door when I tried to stop it to let someone in....almost cried :) But think once it has it’s first mark, the pressure’s off.

Determined for the new one to be “only a watch” though, otherwise what’s the point.

As for what Rolex could do? Nowt, why would they want to? They’re guaranteed to get shot of every sports model they produce. it wasn’t that long ago you could walk in to an AD and get subs for rrp, one lad i know is kicking himself for not buying one that has a bit discount about 10 or 15 years ago. He’s now on this mythical waiting list for a no date sub and can’t get hold of one despite spending a fortune in the AD on iwc and omega in the past.
The way I see it is any brand that has their AD’s treat customers like shite, having them “build relationships” to even get on said mythical waiting list can go and fuck themselves.
A lad I trade with at another bank had a gun held to his head for his roller. I like the fsct mine is properly understated. I also dress like a tramp so less likely to get it ripped off my wrist.

A lad I trade with at another bank had a gun held to his head for his roller. I like the fsct mine is properly understated. I also dress like a tramp so less likely to get it ripped off my wrist.
Fuck that’s grim, I’ve read a few people have been murdered for theirs so in a fucked up way he’s lucky. That’s the problem with Rolex they stick out like a sore thumb. People who know nothing about watches would recognise one. I suppose it’s that recognition fans of the brand crave. Personally I’d prefer something which might get an admiring nod once in a while off a watch nerd.

Back