RR Roker Roundup: Sunderland Head of Recruitment Tony Coton speaks on transfers - loans incoming?

Data protection. An employer would breach confidentiality and therefore be liable

So how do they get away with: “Here I will hear it from the horse’s mouth now, exactly how much the player’s earning at that club and I can say, ‘Yes we can go to that,’ or ‘No we can’t go to that'"? Genuine question by the way, not being an arse! It's just that if it is confidential he's a bit daft admitting that they all discuss it! Is it not the case that there's a legitimate reason for needing to know the amount (because the club would be effectively taking on the contract) which means it can be mentioned?

I’d be happy to build a longer term relationship with the likes of City and Chelsea. Loans from them each season could well help us develop and be a factor up to and including the PL. Going down there and asking a host of PL clubs to lend us some squad filler like a fat bloke picking up girls at ten to two is fairly dumb and lacking in thought though.
There again as a fat bloke I was ok at ten to two ,it was when they saw me under the lights at two the problems started

So how do they get away with: “Here I will hear it from the horse’s mouth now, exactly how much the player’s earning at that club and I can say, ‘Yes we can go to that,’ or ‘No we can’t go to that'"? Genuine question by the way, not being an arse! It's just that if it is confidential he's a bit daft admitting that they all discuss it! Is it not the case that there's a legitimate reason for needing to know the amount (because the club would be effectively taking on the contract) which means it can be mentioned?
Elite footballers and their clubs don’t follow the same employee/employer relations as oppose to the average man on the street. Someone with their finger on the pulse maybe able to confirm however I wouldn’t have thought many cases would have been raised to test the principal

Someone mentioned he went to offload Oviedo...and that may well have been on his to-do list. But Oviedo was almost always likely to go abroad, not to a club in this country. I rather fancy that Coton probably tied up the deal for McNulty with Reading's representatives at this Stamford Bridge pow-wow. If so, it might just be a very good bit of business. Time will tell.

Someone mentioned he went to offload Oviedo...and that may well have been on his to-do list. But Oviedo was almost always likely to go abroad, not to a club in this country. I rather fancy that Coton probably tied up the deal for McNulty with Reading's representatives at this Stamford Bridge pow-wow. If so, it might just be a very good bit of business. Time will tell.
I was at the mecca night they recorded that album ,saw them 17 times live class

I was at the mecca night they recorded that album ,saw them 17 times live class
Stevo, this is probably the wrong forum but, hell, so what. They were the best - what a band! And the fact they were all barely old enough to shave (even if Rodgers' looks made a nonsense of that) is just all the more remarkable. Still my favourite band.

Last edited:
Your daily reminder of Sunderland news! Sunderland’s Head of Recruitment Tony Coton has spoken out after attending a ‘speed dating’ style event in a bid to progress some of the club’s current transfer negotiations. Coton goes dating Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge hosted a football ‘speed-dating’ event this week, as representatives of over 100 clubs...

More at Roker Report...

I just clicked that and that picture on the link is exactly what I imagine Scattermole89 to look like.

Just a shame we have Tony Coton as Head of Recruitment.
why? better than the guy who did it last year ot the year beforw i think..
If I thought there were any other strings to our bow I’d say this is a good move. When our entire approach seems to be build on contacts and who you know rather than what, I’m less than impressed.
how do you know its not?
If you actually read the article, he says he went to the meeting to find out about what players are on..that means he isnt going there to find players..so that means there is another string to the bow..the one that helps find players..

see not complicated at all..

Last edited:
why? better than the guy who did it last year ot the year beforw i think..
That's like saying Boris Johnson is better than Theresa May. Just because his predecessors were crap doesn't mean we should be happy with Coton. I was hoping we could get someone in who has a large scouting network who could unearthed a few gems from the League of Ireland, non-league and free agents from across Europe. So far we have filled the squad with average League One players on big wages with little or no sell on value. The whole thing is old school and too British. That's the reason why we are in League One and Barnsley and Luton got promoted.

That's like saying Boris Johnson is better than Theresa May. Just because his predecessors were crap doesn't mean we should be happy with Coton. I was hoping we could get someone in who has a large scouting network who could unearthed a few gems from the League of Ireland, non-league and free agents from across Europe. So far we have filled the squad with average League One players on big wages with little or no sell on value. The whole thing is old school and too British. That's the reason why we are in League One and Barnsley and Luton got promoted.
lutons head of recruitment was literally at the same event and is as old school ind emeanour as anyone else....how do you know coton doesnt have a large scouting network?
barnsley went up with keifer moore...a league one player.
Our league oen [players won this league as starting players..they arent average for this league.
You dont know what wages they are on.
Yes few enough of them have sell on value..but they did make a profit on reece James...and the club have only mad3e a profit on a tiny number of players over the past decade.
They could make a decent profit on John McLaughlin tomorrow if they wanted to.
I think they would get a profit on Luke Onien if they wanted to..

Bit simplistic I’d say

Bit simplistic I’d say

yeah as shite as our scouting has been for many years (ex man u, ex everton/relegated deadbeats)

i think the only lower club that stands out as doing anything different is brentford, who have a system based purely on stats/ not reputations etc and they seem to get great value and big sales when the players move.

di fanti was supposed to be that-they had good contacts, but the problem seemed to be the better ones fell through like mendy, duncan, orabn, etc etc and we ended up doing it on the cheap 'net spend' of 3.5m with dossena and so on.

will never know if mavrias , karlson, cabral, diakite , roberge were done on stats or just purely because di fanti had agent mates would get him backhanders for players on their books without researching if they were suitable or not

as well as di canio f***ing up by ditching sess and alf and freezing catts and bardsley out

lutons head of recruitment was literally at the same event and is as old school ind emeanour as anyone else....how do you know coton doesnt have a large scouting network?
barnsley went up with keifer moore...a league one player.
Our league oen [players won this league as starting players..they arent average for this league.
You dont know what wages they are on.
Yes few enough of them have sell on value..but they did make a profit on reece James...and the club have only mad3e a profit on a tiny number of players over the past decade.
They could make a decent profit on John McLaughlin tomorrow if they wanted to.
I think they would get a profit on Luke Onien if they wanted to..
We'd be lucky to make £4m from the player we signed last summer! We'd be lucky to get a penny over £2m for McLaughlin who is the only player with any real sell-on value. We'd be lucky to make £500k on O'Nien and I doubt we made much on James! When you see that Luton sold Jack Stacey to Bournemouth for £4m and Portsmouth sold Clarke to Brighton for £3.5m.
Bit simplistic I’d say
Not really. Clubs who have a clear plan and model usually succeed. Take Norwich as an example. They changed their whole approach. They appointed a Sporting Director to run the whole football department. They sold Maddison for £20m and reinvested £5.5m (less than what we spent last season) on new players. They knew the English market wasn't good value for money so they decided to scout the Dutch and German leagues looking for players. It's the same as Huddersfield and Southampton.

Last edited:
We'd be lucky to make £4m from the player we signed last summer! We'd be lucky to get a penny over £2m for McLaughlin who is the only player with any real sell-on value. We'd be lucky to make £500k on O'Nien and I doubt we made much on James! When you see that Luton sold Jack Stacey to Bournemouth for £4m and Portsmouth sold Clarke to Brighton for £3.5m.

Not really. Clubs who have a clear plan and model usually succeed. Take Norwich as an example. They changed their whole approach. They appointed a Sporting Director to run the whole football department. They sold Maddison for £20m and reinvested £5.5m (less than what we spent last season) on new players. They knew the English market wasn't good value for money so they decided to scout the Dutch and German leagues looking for players. It's the same as Huddersfield and Southampton.
huddersfield arent much of an example to anyone..but i agree norwhich are a good example...and show that you dont need to spend big to get promotion..

Back