RR Roker Roundup: Marcus Maddison was offered to Sunderland this summer - but we turned him down

There’s not a chance any of the first few through the door were scouted last summer. Donald bladdered all the scouts and brought in coton. Donald said on a podcast maguire got in touch with him.
There’s not a chance any of the first few through the door were scouted last summer. Donald bladdered all the scouts and brought in coton. Donald said on a podcast maguire got in touch with him.
did he? link to donald sayng that?
coton was here prior to magure wasnt he? JR knew who maguire was..JR doesnt know many players in england but it will have known the scotland international.

i hope we are in the champo then..is he good enough for that level?
I dont know that is why im suggesting we look at Lucas Andersen that FCK where trying to get. But he only wants to go abroad or stay in Aalborg. Turned down more money from FCK to play for his club. Anyway im going to see him play next week in person, cant miss the chance to shout at Oviedo even though i liked him.

did he? link to donald sayng that?
coton was here prior to magure wasnt he? JR knew who maguire was..JR doesnt know many players in england but it will have known the scotland international.

He says in this interview Ross knew him from Scotland AND Donald knew him from Oxford.

AND HE WASNT SCOUTED!!

Will this finally shut your Know It All mouth??

Last edited:
i never said SD wouldnt have known him..just that SD wouldnt have signed him!

And as we’ve said a million times, Donald has final say on EVERYTHING. So you’re wrong.
Here’s a twitter quote from Donald:

“Hopefully you will give the lad a chance if he signs. I watched him for a while at OUFC & if he plays with the same level of intensity as he did for them we will have a player well worth his shirt. Lets see.”

Fairly obvious he had a say in this one.
Roker Report tweet from Oct 2018

“On the same day that Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven took over at #SAFC, Chris Maguire texted CM asking him to get him to Sunderland. What tremendous desire, and what a signing so far. Superb again last night.
@SunderlandAFC

Can’t believe I’ve just been given a warning for Inappropriate Behaviour.
Since when is providing evidence Inappropriate??

Last edited:
And as we’ve said a million times, Donald has final say on EVERYTHING. So you’re wrong.
Here’s a twitter quote from Donald:

“Hopefully you will give the lad a chance if he signs. I watched him for a while at OUFC & if he plays with the same level of intensity as he did for them we will have a player well worth his shirt. Lets see.”

Fairly obvious he had a say in this one.
Roker Report tweet from Oct 2018

“On the same day that Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven took over at #SAFC, Chris Maguire texted CM asking him to get him to Sunderland. What tremendous desire, and what a signing so far. Superb again last night.
@SunderlandAFC

Can’t believe I’ve just been given a warning for Inappropriate Behaviour.
Since when is providing evidence Inappropriate??
bunch of fannies on here sometimes that's why. The kids especially.

I blame the smartphone culture.

Total games here..think he will be ours by the end of the window for a lower fee than 2.5mil if he notices that the chairman is looking to offer him elsewhere and if he is a true MLF I think he might kick up a fuss to leave..maybe just maybe..

I dunno - MacAnthony saying Hill 'didn't rate' Maddison, a player with an unrivaled goal and assist record in recent years for a midfielder at this level, made him look incompetent. Hill was right to clarify how that conversation actually went, IMO.

Agreed, what an absolute bell MacAnthony comes across though.

No need for the response from Hill, too "tit for tat" for me
He’s getting pelters from our fans based on misinformation from MacAnthony (maybe via Fry). I think he was quite right to set the record straight.

I didn’t expect him to say we’d be interested in him when his contract runs out mind. It’s the first time I’ve really given any credence to those suggesting we may make a move at a reduced rate for him.

He’s getting pelters from our fans based on misinformation from MacAnthony (maybe via Fry). I think he was quite right to set the record straight.

I didn’t expect him to say we’d be interested in him when his contract runs out mind. It’s the first time I’ve really given any credence to those suggesting we may make a move at a reduced rate for him.

What Hill is saying, in essence, is that he's not a player we want to pay £2.5m for. Peterborough have priced him out of the market.

I've got a feeling we might actually end up with Maddison by the end of this window here, either that or DM will stick to his guns and hang on for £2.5m or nowt. This has a negotiations feel about it, RH bringing up his contract situation can't be for no reason.

Back