Roker Roar

Can you hear the Roker Roar
Can you hear
Can you hear

Repeat loud and proud

RAAAAAAAAAWR
That’s more like it. We need to get it going more regular. Everyone can raaaaaawwwwrrrr. No need to know the words no need to be self conscious about it. It was always a better laugh than singing anarl.

Can you hear
Can you hear

Repeat loud and proud
No singing involved in Roker roar marra.

Last edited:
First time I heard the roar was a cup replay against Cardiff in 72. Played on a Monday afternoon in brilliant winter sunshine with the miners on strike. Kerr scored in the last minute to take the game into extra time. Bitter disappointment when a defeat in the second replay prevented a home tie against Leeds. If only I had known then what was to come the following season ....

That’s more like it. We need to get it going more regular. Everyone can raaaaaawwwwrrrr. No need to know the words no need to be self conscious about it. It was always a better laugh than singing anarl.

No singing involved in Roker roar marra.
Agreed but that is an old school song which sounds class sang full pelt and should be resurrected

Danny Blanchflower, fabled captain of the Tottenham Hotspur 1961 Double-winning team, once said that having travelled the world the Roker Roar was the most awesome display of support he had ever experienced. Praise indeed from a man who was never afraid to voice an unpopular or dissenting opinion"

Lads and Lasses, let's make Wembley quiver and shake from first til last like in 73. Let's give them a proper rendition of the songs of glory.
Haway the Lads.
The Red Flag.
We are , we are Wearside.
Wise men say.
From the banks of the River Wear.
We're on our way.
The Sunderland Boys are in town.
We shall overcome.
Sunderland til I die.
Hawayawayawaya

I agree. We need to up our game and hit the volumes of 98. The CT was a party but tomorrow is business, we all have to do our duty and raise the feckin roof.

Danny Blanchflower, fabled captain of the Tottenham Hotspur 1961 Double-winning team, once said that having travelled the world the Roker Roar was the most awesome display of support he had ever experienced. Praise indeed from a man who was never afraid to voice an unpopular or dissenting opinion"

A little bit more from DB:

Moments later the final whistle blew, much to the relief of the beleaguered Spurs players who had managed to survive the Sunderland onslaught in what was probably the most incredible forty-five minutes of football ever seen at Roker Park. It was an experience that Spurs skipper Danny Blanchflower never forgot.

“I remember sitting in a capacity crowd in Barcelona, the wild excitement of a cup-tie at St.James’s Park and over 60,000 Manchester United fanatics packing the ground at Old Trafford this season,” he wrote a few days after the tie, “These and many more scenes of wild thrills I remember. But nothing I have ever heard equalled the intensity of that wild roar at Roker Park when Sunderland drew level. As we fished the ball out of the net and those wild-with-delight Sunderland fans streamed onto the field, I began to realise what the man meant when he coined the phrase ‘an ear-splitting roar’. I know the north-east is a fanatical soccer area but I doubt whether it has ever seen such excitement before – or ever will again.”

Last edited:

Back