Roker Report - RvN

Was it not Jon Dahl Tomasson come over for a trail and look around but was then sacked off when Reid seen how much he wanted?...We were linked to some seriously good players back then.

Strange how Reid became so protective of the clubs money around the time when he was given millions in shares.

Butler joined us in 1998, just after PSV had signed RVN for ~£6m. Why would PSV then send him out on trial to us with a view to selling him for 1/12th of what they paid for him?

Exactly... total nonsense... story is just a rumour and so it never happened in the real World :lol:

When RvN was sold by Heerenveen to PSV in summer of 1998 it was a record transfer fee at the time between 2 Dutch clubs... RvN formed a strike partnership at PSV with Luc Nilis (Belgium) and they went on to be champions of Dutch EreDivisie again, then in summer of 2000 he was supposed to go to Man Utd for a then record £18.5 million! - but he failed medical/then got injured again, transfer was put on hold, and then he returned to play in practice matches around March 2001, then a few days after his first PSV game after injury Man Utd came back with an even bigger transfer fee, and he signed for them in April 2001
At no stage would he have been available for anything less than these record amounts

There was a period after his time at Real Madrid (so transfer window of January 2010) that he would have liked to return to the premier league, but Spurs couldn't match his wages and he wasn't interested in West Ham or Stoke (the other 2 interested clubs) so he signed for German side Hamburg instead.

At no stage would it be likely that he had any need to visit Sunderland for any so called trials :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Was it not Jon Dahl Tomasson come over for a trail and look around but was then sacked off when Reid seen how much he wanted?...We were linked to some seriously good players back then.

Strange how Reid became so protective of the clubs money around the time when he was given millions in shares.
Yeah I remember that one too. Just looked up when it happened, was it not that we were going to sign him but ended up being relegated (96/97), then the mags stepped in and he went there?

Remember the Echo running a story (while van Nistelrooy was banging them in for Man Utd) that Reid was had been interested in him when he was younger. Have a vague memory of them printing something about Ariel Ortega being close to signing at one point as well.

Have Roker Report heard about the time we tried to sign Jan Koller?

Re Tomasson we were trying to sign him on a permanent deal. Nothing to do with a trial. Wasn't there footage on premier passions of Reid showing Tomasson around?

This has already been debunked by the man himself:

Yeah I remember that one too. Just looked up when it happened, was it not that we were going to sign him but ended up being relegated (96/97), then the mags stepped in and he went there?

Remember the Echo running a story (while van Nistelrooy was banging them in for Man Utd) that Reid was had been interested in him when he was younger. Have a vague memory of them printing something about Ariel Ortega being close to signing at one point as well.

Have Roker Report heard about the time we tried to sign Jan Koller?
The aerial Ortega one, and some Norwegian kid about the same time, were simply the media picking some ITK bollocks off this site and running with it.

It should have been embarrassing for them really.

Last edited:
Re Tomasson we were trying to sign him on a permanent deal. Nothing to do with a trial. Wasn't there footage on premier passions of Reid showing Tomasson around?

Aye I remember seeing that now. He didnt join the unwashed till years later tho did he? I'm sure he was just a young'un when we were interested.

Exactly... total nonsense... story is just a rumour and so it never happened in the real World :lol:

When RvN was sold by Heerenveen to PSV in summer of 1998 it was a record transfer fee at the time between 2 Dutch clubs... RvN formed a strike partnership at PSV with Luc Nilis (Belgium) and they went on to be champions of Dutch EreDivisie again, then in summer of 2000 he was supposed to go to Man Utd for a then record £18.5 million! - but he failed medical/then got injured again, transfer was put on hold, and then he returned to play in practice matches around March 2001, then a few days after his first PSV game after injury Man Utd came back with an even bigger transfer fee, and he signed for them in April 2001
At no stage would he have been available for anything less than these record amounts

There was a period after his time at Real Madrid (so transfer window of January 2010) that he would have liked to return to the premier league, but Spurs couldn't match his wages and he wasn't interested in West Ham or Stoke (the other 2 interested clubs) so he signed for German side Hamburg instead.

At no stage would it be likely that he had any need to visit Sunderland for any so called trials :rolleyes:

I actually remember the rumour, it was while he was at either Den Bosch or Heerenveen and I'm pretty sure it was a summer rumour after a season Reid got us promoted and he was looking for a goalscorer so it might well have been the first time in the mid nineties.
We were apparently quoted £5 million and that was the end of that rumour, as I said I'm pretty sure he was actually playing as an attacking midfielder at the time too.

Aye I remember seeing that now. He didnt join the unwashed till years later tho did he? I'm sure he was just a young'un when we were interested.
Premier Passions was the 96-97 season and he joined the Mags in the Summer after the end of that season. Probably around the time we were signing Lee Clark from them.

Puts me in mind of bargain hunter Harry Redknapp having a young unknown Ukrainian striker by the name of Shevchenko on trial, available for 1m and saying he didn't pull up any trees and turning it down

or Glenn Roeder having a deal done to sign Drogba for 1m but getting relegated and it being cancelled

Last edited:
I actually remember the rumour, it was while he was at either Den Bosch or Heerenveen and I'm pretty sure it was a summer rumour after a season Reid got us promoted and he was looking for a goalscorer so it might well have been the first time in the mid nineties.
We were apparently quoted £5 million and that was the end of that rumour, as I said I'm pretty sure he was actually playing as an attacking midfielder at the time too.
He moved to Heerenveen in 97 for under 300k. The 5m is around the fee PSV paid in 98 (6.3m euros), which we wouldn't have had the cash for as we were in the championship. Also factoring in that in 98 we had Phillips and Quinn banging them in at the time whilst being ably supported by Bridges and Dichio.

He moved to Heerenveen in 97 for under 300k. The 5m is around the fee PSV paid in 98 (6.3m euros), which we wouldn't have had the cash for as we were in the championship. Also factoring in that in 98 we had Phillips and Quinn banging them in at the time whilst being ably supported by Bridges and Dichio.

That would make a ton of sense.

I actually saw it on Teletext, but once the mooted fee came up you just knew there was no way we were paying that for an attacking midfielder.
It could well have been the agent touting him around the time of the move to flush out interest.

Back