Roker Report - RvN

Remember hearing about it while he was at United, banging them in.

Did the trial go poorly it did he not end up coming over?

One of my biggest criticisms of Reid at the time was around his poor recruitment strategy. We always seemed to balk at having to pay the going rate for decent players, then waste money on someone less good.

Hmmm. In the late 90's he was signed by PSV for over 6m euros. Early 00's and he signed for man u once he recovered from a knee injury.

The only RVN story I remember was that we were interested in him but we'd just been relegated, moved into the SOL, and couldn't afford the fee that was being quoted at the time. Especially after smashing our then transfer record to sign Lee Clark.

Never heard anything about him coming over here for a trial, if he did and if it was for the fee mentioned then it would have had to have been a few years earlier than late 90's and pretty close to the start of Reid's reign.

Last edited:
There was definitely a story that we were interested and were offered him for about £5m, but Reid felt that was too much for a player unproven at PL level so passed up the opportunity.

Don’t ever recall hearing he’d had a trial though.

There was definitely a story that we were interested and were offered him for about £5m, but Reid felt that was too much for a player unproven at PL level so passed up the opportunity.

Don’t ever recall hearing he’d had a trial though.
Fits in with what I remember. £5m ties in with the 6m+ euros that PSV paid in 98. The year we were relegated and moved into the SOL. We never had anywhere near enough cash at that time.

Fits in with what I remember. £5m ties in with the 6m+ euros that PSV paid in 98. The year we were relegated and moved into the SOL. We never had anywhere near enough cash at that time.
Story I heard was that Reidy was in for him whilst he was at Heerenveen, baulked at the £5m fee then went in for David Connolly then after not getting him we signed Kevin Phillips

Story I heard was that Reidy was in for him whilst he was at Heerenveen, baulked at the £5m fee then went in for David Connolly then after not getting him we signed Kevin Phillips
Aye, we never had the cash to pay 5m for him after we'd just spent 2.5m on Clark.

Remember hearing about it while he was at United, banging them in.

Did the trial go poorly it did he not end up coming over?

One of my biggest criticisms of Reid at the time was around his poor recruitment strategy. We always seemed to balk at having to pay the going rate for decent players, then waste money on someone less good.

We've done it every year since Reid went as well.

Never mind. We got Nunez instead.

I seem to remember RVN visited the SMB and read all the abuse direct at Murray for making second rate signings and decided it wasn't the place for him.

Nunez didn't have the internet back then.

I remember being disappointed we got Phillips instead of Connolly !

Back