ROKER REPORT CHRISTMAS 2019 FOODBANK & SOUP KITCHEN FUNDRAISER

Watch Channel 4 now. Dispatches must open our eyes to this problem in our communities. How some of these kids remain so strong for their parents is truly mindblowing.
Sorry to keep spamming you all but I just wanted to say thanks again for the kind donations, for all the sharing of our link amongst the community and the support from notable figures in the media. I've had Andrea from the Soup Kitchen on the phone a few times in the last few days and she's honestly blown away by people's kindness. Please donate whatever you can to help out as many families as we can this Christmas on Wearside.

Last edited:
Great cause but what a sad indictment on our society when anyone, in a so-called developed country, has to rely on food hand-outs to live.

A while back a number of Tory MP's were using the opening of foodbanks in their constituencies as photo ops - sad to say but it nearly happened in Sunderland when our MP asked if anyone wanted a photo op with food we'd brought in to a meeting but I think everyone refused on the same grounds of we should be ashamed of what a nation we've become not proud.

Cheers Saltgrass.

Please keep donating. We're going for an £8000 target on GoFundMe now - this money will make a difference to lives of people on Wearside this Christmas.

Cheers Saltgrass.

Please keep donating. We're going for an £8000 target on GoFundMe now - this money will make a difference to lives of people on Wearside this Christmas.
Do we know what 8000 will do for them? Like is it a certain amount of meals or an extra member of staff or more people they can donate to?

I’ve donated btw

Do we know what 8000 will do for them? Like is it a certain amount of meals or an extra member of staff or more people they can donate to?

I’ve donated btw

The soup kitchen will be able to order pallets of fresh produce in (which they are currently unable to do - they rely on donations from supermarkets etc). They also need to buy a van because currently they don’t have one. The facilities they use are very basic also but they make the best of what they’ve got.

The Foodbank can make up a shedload of food parcels - these are given out so people can fill their cupboards and fridges for a few days.

I went down tonight to meet everyone and help out and it’s honestly the most humbling thing I’ve ever done. You have to see what is going on in our own city to believe it - tonight I served food to pensioners, teenagers, homeless people, mothers who can’t afford to feed their kids, a bloke who is a carer for his dying mate - honest, it’s a f***ing travesty that they rely on the kindness of others in order to eat.

The soup kitchen will be able to order pallets of fresh produce in (which they are currently unable to do - they rely on donations from supermarkets etc). They also need to buy a van because currently they don’t have one. The facilities they use are very basic also but they make the best of what they’ve got.

The Foodbank can make up a shedload of food parcels - these are given out so people can fill their cupboards and fridges for a few days.

I went down tonight to meet everyone and help out and it’s honestly the most humbling thing I’ve ever done. You have to see what is going on in our own city to believe it - tonight I served food to pensioners, teenagers, homeless people, mothers who can’t afford to feed their kids, a bloke who is a carer for his dying mate - honest, it’s a f***ing travesty that they rely on the kindness of others in order to eat.

well done mate.
you are right, the tough end of society is on its knees and there is very little help for them.

Sickens me that places like this need to exist thanks to the lack of generosity from the powers that be!

Back