Roker Rapport Podcast: With Sunderland AFC owner Stewart Donald

Why are you assuming Hume wants loads of money?

The common theme is young players not signing contracts so they are doing something wrong
whuat they are doing wrong is they havent secured promotion yet. remeber thiese players can talk to other clubs now, yet none have been linked with anything else, which implies the agents arent leaking to the media, or the offers they have elsewhere arent great..i dont think hume would be getting game time if he were leaving...stewrat said they wouldnt get played if they refused to sign contracts..hume has been playing..so hasnt refused..

Why are you assuming Hume wants loads of money?

The common theme is young players not signing contracts so they are doing something wrong
why are tyou assuming the club are offering shit money?

Just thought, any truth the spice girls concert was subsidised by the council to the tune of 50 thousand pounds and does this mean that any future concerts will not be viable without this support

Couldn't agree more with this. We've been far "too nice" this season and let teams basically come here and do what they want with regards to running down the clock (subs/fake injuries/timewasting) and the lack of ball boys is very strange - all adds to the tempo of the game which has been far too slow at home

Mind you,the ball boys at the SOL have been clueless and useless since the stadium opened!

My question is

The two scenarios for next season are league 1 or championship

If we stay in league one, what investment will be made to add to the current squad to make sure we sign the missing players we need to secure promotion at the second time of asking. We lack a quality proven goalscorer based on Wyke and Griggs return. Centre halves who can pass
And strong tall powerhouse midfielders

Championship

We want to ideally finish mid table and have a great season next season. This would require a certain investment or do you want to really go for it and invest heavily and try a double promotion with a massive squad over hall

Finally. Can you clarify player of the season aiden mcgeadys contract situation

Just thought, any truth the spice girls concert was subsidised by the council to the tune of 50 thousand pounds and does this mean that any future concerts will not be viable without this support

50k is fuck all mate and I'd expect the council to be putting in more than that just for extra services around the town.

A concert like that would bring in a ton of money and the council should be bending over backwards to help out in any way they can.

whuat they are doing wrong is they havent secured promotion yet. remeber thiese players can talk to other clubs now, yet none have been linked with anything else, which implies the agents arent leaking to the media, or the offers they have elsewhere arent great..i dont think hume would be getting game time if he were leaving...stewrat said they wouldnt get played if they refused to sign contracts..hume has been playing..so hasnt refused..

why are tyou assuming the club are offering shit money?

You are the one assuming, I am defending the players.

Hardly anyone in the stands for kick off mate. Think we just need to accept that unless it's a massive game atmosphere won't be there at KO regardless of how hard the club tries. They'd have to shut the bar 15 mins before KO

I think IF they put it on just as the players have came out it could work and people would take notice.

Ask him if he can sort wifi out in the ground could of cashed a beauty out the other week but the signal in the ground is shite. haha

Turn your 4G off and you’ll be sorted mate.

I'm going to do one of those "unpopular opinion" things, but if they move away fans I think it should be back to the south stand and the SWC should become a thing again. I really don't think the south stand experiment has worked at all
People who have season tickets now in the sw corner aren't going to be moved for those who would want to create an atmosphere, so now sure how that would work. If we bring the away fans down shove them in the south east corner.

Put safe standing rails in the south stand (like they have at spurs and germany) and I reckon that would help. Let's be proactive in this rather than waiting for standing to be legalised and safe standing rails to become the norm.

In fact id ask donald that. Are the club considering the introduction of safe standing rails in the south stand in a bid to improve the atmosphere at the stadium?

Last edited:
Is there any chance of the club sanctioning an official history DVD? We seem to be one of the few clubs that haven’t done this. The last one was on VHS about 30 years ago.

Also would be great if they could release some of the old season reviews on DVD, I’ve been desperate to watch 97/98 for ages but it’s only available on VHS and all attempts to convert it to YouTube have failed.

Also imo we should have done a deal for Cov, Pompey and Doncaster at home.

The 3 for £50 or something- few thousand on the gate.

Agree this would have been a good idea. Hell, maybe even all 3 for £40 or any 2 for £30. Would have worked out about the same as the amount SCHs are paying but tbh the main priority now should be getting the ground as full as we can and trying to get the lads over the line. As a SCH I'd have no issue with it, doubt many would. Too late for Coventry now mind, but the last 2 for £30 might get some in

Ask him if they are still considering mortgaging off the SOL to pay for other investments around the ground to create revenue (as mentioned in his last RR podcast).

If he’s interested also tell him I think it’s a terrible idea, and they should do other options (stadium renaming) etc 1st, and not leave our club open in any way to losing our stadium.

You are the one assuming, I am defending the players.
and im criticising no one...you are.

Agree this would have been a good idea. Hell, maybe even all 3 for £40 or any 2 for £30. Would have worked out about the same as the amount SCHs are paying but tbh the main priority now should be getting the ground as full as we can and trying to get the lads over the line. As a SCH I'd have no issue with it, doubt many would. Too late for Coventry now mind, but the last 2 for £30 might get some in
while i agree with you that it shoyuld have happened..the reality is if they do this ST holders will whinge.

Back