Roker Rapport Podcast: With Sunderland AFC owner Stewart Donald

in the januray one he said much better off..he had a number in mind of how much of his own cash he would have had to put in by Jabuary just to keep the club running, but has actually pout in a lot less, and thats why he was able to say in Jan "we are in a very strong financial position" and why he was happy to put his own cash in to sign Grigg.

of course it is..but not if the players want ludicrous money..

who isnt in the last year of his contract/
Are you on the wind up.

I'm asking about Kimpioka because Donald said he wants to avoid people going into the last year of his contract. Kimpioka is in his last year next season.

Also, if the flags are going up would it be possible to play a slower/acoustic version of Wise Men Say. As if it was on for 2/3 minutes it’d massively improve the atmosphere before the game with the new flags.

Hardly anyone in the stands for kick off mate. Think we just need to accept that unless it's a massive game atmosphere won't be there at KO regardless of how hard the club tries. They'd have to shut the bar 15 mins before KO

Are you on the wind up.

I'm asking about Kimpioka because Donald said he wants to avoid people going into the last year of his contract. Kimpioka is in his last year next season.
yes i agree with you completely...my point was simply there are players out of contract in two months..sorting those either way is a prioroty.

Hardly anyone in the stands for kick off mate. Think we just need to accept that unless it's a massive game atmosphere won't be there at KO regardless of how hard the club tries. They'd have to shut the bar 15 mins before KO

Even that wouldn't work. Most (myself included if I'm honest) maximise pub drinking time before the game. I'm in my seat for kick off like, but closing the SoL bar wouldn't get me there any earlier, I'm often just leaving the halfway house with about ten minutes until kick off

I thought these were questions for Donald to answer, not @kildaremackem
Although it would seem hes itk.
Knew there was more to him than meets the eye, not just a regular punter.
I'll get to the bottom of this. ;)

Even that wouldn't work. Most (myself included if I'm honest) maximise pub drinking time before the game. I'm in my seat for kick off like, but closing the SoL bar wouldn't get me there any earlier, I'm often just leaving the halfway house with about ten minutes until kick off

IMO the only way they'd get a decent amount of people in the ground early is if they undercut all the bars around the ground with their beer prices, and that's just not going to happen.

Ask Donald. Would he of done anything different regarding ticket sales for Wembley.
(One per person - Mates/family not been sat together).
Singers dotted all over the place so the atmosphere wasn’t anything like Pompeys.

Then ask him about his general reflection of the day itself (pre/post thoughts)

IMO the only way they'd get a decent amount of people in the ground early is if they undercut all the bars around the ground with their beer prices, and that's just not going to happen.

Exactly. I drink at the SoL at half time because there's no choice if you want a pint, but very few will choose to meet there pre match to stand on a cramped concourse with a, frankly shit tasting, £4.30 pint in a plastic cup when there are a multitude of pubs within ten minutes walk of the ground serving better, cheaper drink, often with seats to sit at. There's nothing they can do to get people in early, even cheaper beer wouldn't convince me, and if they made it so cheap (£1 a bottle or something) that it was worth considering, it'd get like half time where you can't get served!

Last edited:
Main questions are around the academy. Is there any truth in the rumours that the club have been actively looking to offload/encourage some of our young players to leave?

What are the plans for the academy going forward, maybe depending on the first answer, but is it viable if we can’t keep our top talents.

What’s the situation with contracts for the young players?

Anything happening around train deals for fans, from London on grand central for home games as an example and away fans.

Pretty much this tbf. Not many folk are willing to get to the ground early to have a shite pint and pay a fortune for the privilege.

As for a question, any info on Juan’s father in law being at Wembley. Just for the experience or potential investment?

Aye fair point. Would just keep more out.

Ask Donald. Would he of done anything different regarding ticket sales for Wembley.
(One per person - Mates/family not been sat together).
Singers dotted all over the place so the atmosphere wasn’t anything like Pompeys.

Then ask him about his general reflection of the day itself (pre/post thoughts)

Don't really agree with this tbh, mates could sit together, you just had to apply in the same phase. I was sat with 6 others, and there were plenty of larger groups. It didn't even sell out quickly in phase 2, so as long as you go with people who have attended since PL relegation you could have waited and all been sat together. As for the lack of singing, that's not really something the club can affect, if they said top point holders had to sit in one section they'd be criticised because many would want to sit elsewhere, with family. It's probably something the fans should try and sort next time, target a block and get as many in as possible

Back