Roker Rapport Podcast: With Sunderland AFC owner Stewart Donald

My question is

The two scenarios for next season are league 1 or championship

If we stay in league one, what investment will be made to add to the current squad to make sure we sign the missing players we need to secure promotion at the second time of asking. We lack a quality proven goalscorer based on Wyke and Griggs return. Centre halves who can pass
And strong tall powerhouse midfielders

Championship

We want to ideally finish mid table and have a great season next season. This would require a certain investment or do you want to really go for it and invest heavily and try a double promotion with a massive squad over hall

Finally. Can you clarify player of the season aiden mcgeadys contract situation

This really. Investment if we go up. I dont want the exact size of the kitty but reassurances we could be competitive. That is where more info re sartori would be welcome. Is he going to step it up? Also does he acknowledge the majority of players we have signed this season would need replacing and can we do it?

Edit also we want him to stay

This really. Investment if we go up. I dont want the exact size of the kitty but reassurances we could be competitive. That is where more info re sartori would be welcome. Is he going to step it up? Also does he acknowledge the majority of players we have signed this season would need replacing and can we do it?

Agree, this is easily the most important thing to discuss. I'd be very interested to know how much we'd be affected, in terms of our medium to long term goals, if we fail to go up. I know they'd be able to fund it but, given we'd have to spend again, what would the impact be of having to use all/ most of our last parachute payment in this league considering we'd then (if successful next season) be coming up into a league where possibly 5 or more sides would still be receiving PL parachute payments. Would that make additional investment more crucial, or is it still hoped that the existing owners could make us competitive, maybe with extra involvement from Sartori.

And also agreed, I love us being ran sustainably despite the challenges, and like most I'm very keen for the current owners to stay on regardless of what happens this season. I hope we can convey the fact that they have massive support from the fans (I'm sure they're already aware like, but worth reiterating that the fans are grateful for the job they've done up to now and hopefully will continue to do for the foreseeable future)

Another idea, is there no way we could get some of the good german lager in? I. E. Paulaner or lowenbrau? Also. Having attended several german matches they have thicker plastic glasses where the handles drop in on top of each other. You can carry 4/5 pints in each hand. You also get €0.50 when you return them. So its less spillage and environmentally friendly :D

Another idea, is there no way we could get some of the good german lager in? I. E. Paulaner or lowenbrau? Also. Having attended several german matches they have thicker plastic glasses where the handles drop in on top of each other. You can carry 4/5 pints in each hand. You also get €0.50 when you return them. So its less spillage and environmentally friendly :D
Hipster.

The catering contract is hived off from before SD took over, not much they can do until it expires.

Unfortunately I think we're tied down regarding catering for a while and all lager seems to have to be Molson Coors (hence the Carling). We know the owners like their pints mind, and they know how much we like ours, so I'm sure they'll look at it as soon as they can!

the thing is whatever number he might state..someone will state thats not competitve we want more..
for example, stewart is big mates with the sheff utd manager..there is no way it looked like sheff utd had a "competitive budget" at the strt of the season..
a better way to phrase the same question might be, is promotion the goal next season?

Agree, this is easily the most important thing to discuss. I'd be very interested to know how much we'd be affected, in terms of our medium to long term goals, if we fail to go up. I know they'd be able to fund it but, given we'd have to spend again, what would the impact be of having to use all/ most of our last parachute payment in this league considering we'd then (if successful next season) be coming up into a league where possibly 5 or more sides would still be receiving PL parachute payments. Would that make additional investment more crucial, or is it still hoped that the existing owners could make us competitive, maybe with extra involvement from Sartori.

And also agreed, I love us being ran sustainably despite the challenges, and like most I'm very keen for the current owners to stay on regardless of what happens this season. I hope we can convey the fact that they have massive support from the fans (I'm sure they're already aware like, but worth reiterating that the fans are grateful for the job they've done up to now and hopefully will continue to do for the foreseeable future)
great post.
I think financially we would ironically be better off next year if we didnt go up, because players wouldnt get the inbuilt wage rises for promotion, and we would get the para monjey to spend, not like this season when it went to pay debts. But as you say, if we dont go up, then we would get to the champo without any para money, and it gets very tricky.

Last edited:
Renaming the stadium.

Is it possible to insert the potential new stadium sponsor’s name before Stadium of Light instead of completely changing the name?

E.g. The _______ Stadium of Light

the thing is whatever number he might state..someone will state thats not competitve we want more..
for example, stewart is big mates with the sheff utd manager..there is no way it looked like sheff utd had a "competitive budget" at the strt of the season..
a better way to phrase the same question might be, is promotion the goal next season?

great post.
I think financially we would ironically be better off next year if we didnt go up, because players wouldnt get the inbuilt wage rises for promotion, and we would get the para monjey to spend, not like this season when it went to pay debts. But as you say, if we dont go up, then we would get to the champo without any para money, and it gets very tricky.

I don't think promotion is, or should be the goal next year like. I would be happy if competitive meant mid-table and not getting steamrollered by the top teams. Unfortunately without investment i think that is exactly what would happen with the current side. We get away with a lot due to poor opposition not being clinical.

I don't think promotion is, or should be the goal next year like. I would be happy if competitive meant mid-table and not getting steamrollered by the top teams. Unfortunately without investment i think that is exactly what would happen with the current side. We get away with a lot due to poor opposition not being clinical.
there are no plans for the current side to play next year, there are plans to spend money on players. sheff utd biggest buy this season cost about the same as ours...shows what can be done.

Has Kimpioka's contract been sorted out yet ?
yes he has 15 months left..

there are no plans for the current side to play next year, there are plans to spend money on players. sheff utd biggest buy this season cost about the same as ours...shows what can be done.

yes he has 15 months left..

SD had said previously in another podcast that he wasn't going to have another maja situation when playing the young lads in the 1st team and would sort their contracts out first..

Back