Roker Rapport Podcast: With Sunderland AFC owner Stewart Donald

in the januray one he said much better off..he had a number in mind of how much of his own cash he would have had to put in by Jabuary just to keep the club running, but has actually pout in a lot less, and thats why he was able to say in Jan "we are in a very strong financial position" and why he was happy to put his own cash in to sign Grigg.

of course it is..but not if the players want ludicrous money..

who isnt in the last year of his contract/

or if they are offering them shit money

Why have we allowed teams to timewaste against us all season at home. The lack of ballboys/girls is so noticeable when the opposition are taking goal kicks and throw-ins. We have missed a trick by not acting to get the ball back in play as quickly as possible.
Couldn't agree more with this. We've been far "too nice" this season and let teams basically come here and do what they want with regards to running down the clock (subs/fake injuries/timewasting) and the lack of ball boys is very strange - all adds to the tempo of the game which has been far too slow at home

:lol: He's an entrepreneur not a friggin' scout.

SD has said in previous Podcasts that one of Juan's jobs was working with South American scouts to get promising players over here in our academy. We've not heard much else other than that like so would be good to get an update on whether anything has been done or not. SD seemed to suggest that the plan was poorly thought out when he spoke about it earlier in the season.

SD has said in previous Podcasts that one of Juan's jobs was working with South American scouts to get promising players over here in our academy. We've not heard much else other than that like so would be good to get an update on whether anything has been done or not. SD seemed to suggest that the plan was poorly thought out when he spoke about it earlier in the season.
I'm sure he's got better things to do.

Ask him is he for Brexit or a Remainer?
Charlie's a Brexiteer.

Last edited:
I've always thought another of the reasons people don't drink in the ground before the game is you can't see any of the tiny tv screens they have dotted about, therefore you aren't getting any build up (or ability to watch a previous match finishing with a few pints etc). Surely these should be huge now there's plenty space (projectors even). Its just very dated inside the concourses.

Hopefully this is next on Donald's list of refurbishing the stadium?

IMO the only way they'd get a decent amount of people in the ground early is if they undercut all the bars around the ground with their beer prices, and that's just not going to happen.
It's not in our culture. On the continent fans like to get in early to the stadium because that's where the atmosphere starts. Over here the atmosphere starts in the pub and the walk up to the ground.

Tell him not to change the stadium name, cheers.

I've always thought another of the reasons people don't drink in the ground before the game is you can't see any of the tiny tv screens they have dotted about. Surely these should be huge now there's plenty space (projectors even). Its just very dated inside the concourses.

Yep, I wouldn't go in early even if the beer was cheap, love the crack in the pub first.

A load of posters on here have alleged that the Academy are actively trying to peddle our best youth products. The whispers seem to be gaining some traction. Whilst I don’t believe it as it makes no logical or financial sense perhaps you could ask Donald to address the rumours.

Sunderland AFC owner Stewart Donald will sit down with us this weekend to record another extra special edition of the Podcast - and we want YOUR questions so we can put them to him. It’s that time again - this coming weekend we’ll welcome Sunderland AFC owner Stewart Donald back to the studio for another extra-special edition of the Roker Rapport...

More at Roker Report...

A load of posters on here have alleged that the Academy are actively trying to peddle our best youth products. The whispers seem to be gaining some traction. Whilst I don’t believe it as it makes no logical or financial sense perhaps you could ask Donald to address the rumours.
And ask him is it 'cos they're shit.

Any truth that from 2020/21 season we are leaving addidas and moving to kappa, also any update on when the club shop will be moving to ticket office and the possible town shop (ex mothercare unit)

or if they are offering them shit money
whats shit money for a reserve full back in league one, as hume is? i reckon the players are wiating to see what division we are in.
remember the owners got mumba signed up, so they know how to do the job..mumba has i think, only one fewerleague appearance than hune, and is four years younger.

i dont see why it doesnt make sense to sell a fourteen year old who is giving it the big un. most 14 year olds amount to fuck all and get released at 18...when we can get them back..
mumba is 16 and signed a contract..

Last edited:
I've always thought another of the reasons people don't drink in the ground before the game is you can't see any of the tiny tv screens they have dotted about, therefore you aren't getting any build up (or ability to watch a previous match finishing with a few pints etc). Surely these should be huge now there's plenty space (projectors even). Its just very dated inside the concourses.

This

whats shit money for a reserve full back in league one, as hume is? i reckon the players are wiating to see what division we are in.
remember the owners got mumba signed up, so they know how to do the job..mumba has i think, only one fewerleague appearance than hune, and is four years younger.

i dont see why it doesnt make sense to sell a fourteen year old who is giving it the big un. most 14 year olds amount to fuck all and get released at 18...when we can get them back..
mumba is 16 and signed a contract..

Why are you assuming Hume wants loads of money?

The common theme is young players not signing contracts so they are doing something wrong

Ask if we're still in any kind of legal dispute over former players/staff/managers or even other clubs.

Has the season gone better, worse or as he thought it would, both on and off the pitch?

Agreed. Having to break your neck to look up at a TV the size of a computer monitor and then having to ask your mate with 20/20 vision what the scores are/team is is a right fuck on.

The Away fan location question need putting to him again, its chronic with them up there
I think this would be too divisive between fans.
As it is, the away fans have no influence on the game and it doesn't look like the lower bowl is empty when they only bring 100 fans. IMO far better setup, we just need to create an atmosphere

Back