Roker Rapport Podcast: “The son of Pele!” - A Sunderland story with MARTIN SMITH!

Martin Smith.. Martin Smith.. Running down the wing! Martin Smith.. Martin Smith.. can do anything! Feared by the mags.. loved by the lads! Martin Smith! Martin Smith! Martin Smith!

(Repeat x10)

So aye.. Our Chris Wynn got the chance to go all deep dive on the life and career of the one and only... Mr Martin Smith!

You can listen for FREE on Acast, iTunes, Spotify, & YouTube - get stuck in.

APPLE: https://apple.co/3hOygul
ACAST: ROKER RAPPORT PODCAST: The Son of Pelé - A Sunderland AFC Story w/ Martin Smith!
SPOTIFY: ROKER RAPPORT PODCAST: The Son of Pelé - A Sunderland AFC Story w/ Martin Smith! - Roker Rapport
YOUTUBE:

Last edited:

Martin Smith.. Martin Smith.. Running down the wing! Martin Smith.. Martin Smith.. can do anything! Feared by the mags.. loved by the lads! Martin Smith! Martin Smith! Martin Smith!

(Repeat x10)

So aye.. Our Chris Wynn got the chance to go all deep dive on the life and career of the one and only... Mr Martin Smith!

APPLE: https://apple.co/3hOygul
ACAST: ROKER RAPPORT PODCAST: The Son of Pelé - A Sunderland AFC Story w/ Martin Smith!
SPOTIFY: ROKER RAPPORT PODCAST: The Son of Pelé - A Sunderland AFC Story w/ Martin Smith! - Roker Rapport
YOUTUBE:
Wasn't in the song, was it?

Remember seeing him in a mcdonalds near Bolton’s reebok stadium quite a few years ago, my uncle thought he was a great player so I went to shout over but he was telling his mate they were out of chicken nuggets so I just kept shut

(Repeat x10)

APPLE: ‎Roker Rapport on Apple Podcasts
YOUTUBE:

An excellent listen this, great job.

Had the pleasure to watch MS and although he was class he could have achieved so much more if not for injuries.

He came across great in the podcast, sounds a really down to earth and genuine lad.

Would someone mind telling us the correct version of the song then please. Sounded/fine to me. One of my favourite players at the time. Tret like shite by Reid but what followed shortly after with the emergence of SKP and Quinny poor lad just got trampled under foot. Beautiful on the ball.

Just listened to the podcast. What a smashing understated lad Martin is. Will remain a SAFC hero of mine and it would appear he had a lot of poor luck in his career with injuries which I wasn't aware of, sometimes you just don't know what players have to go through.

I still find it weird that SAFC fans hero worship him. To me he’s just a lad in my year at school (Monkeyhouse), a good footballer who hit it lucky playing for the lads. 🤷‍♂️😂 @tooliohelmet played in the same school team and taught Smithy everything he knows! how SAFC failed to pick the helmet up is beyond me! 🤦🏼‍♂️❤️

With little positive to hold on to in the early 90s a skilful local lad producing bits of magic in a terrible team was something to look forward to on match days, was always a fan of smiths but never seemed to get a decent run of games under Reid, possibly cos Reid didn’t like him? I don’t know but was disappointed he left

Sounds a great lad, I cant remember him during the Reid period, probably old age and too much beer, me not him

Hated by Mags
Loved by The Lads
Reid didn't rate him for some reason, which was a bit odd because I remember him being cracking when Reid kept us up that first season. Dropped for Gray the next season and a bit part player after that.

I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of Gray (soft as clarts) at the time and loved Smith so was a bit disappointed in that decision. Gray proved me wrong quickly mind and was excellent in that promotion season.

Back