Roker Rapport - Getting above their station or the voice of the fans??

At the end of the day they are fans and care about the club, thats all that matters to me. They are right to ask questions with anything regarding the club

You'd have to ask them in the Roker Report WhatsApp group chat. Although in the RR WhatsApp group chat they're probably discussing pink slices, in the WhatsApp group chat.

I find the criticism of RR/WMS baffling.
SAFC fans giving up their own time (I imagine unpaid) to put out content for fellow SAFC fans.

You may not agree with some Of their content but that’s understandable as it’s their opinion?!
ive always found RR/WMS balanced on their opinions with all things SAFC related.
When approached sensibly on social media, they’ll always engage and discuss what they’ve put out.

Their podcasts over the lockdown were a god send.

I think they're canny. I mean, today I was saying that I think they should probably interview Storey if they're going to quiz him on twitter anyway, but no one agrees with everything. On the whole they seem like decent lads producing good SAFC content. Over lockdown, especially when I was furloughed, I loved the pods with ex players and things. They can crack on as far as I'm concerned. They also get stick for "loving Donald" early on. Tbf most of us were taken in by him. For a group of volunteer podcasters to get the chance to interview the owner when local journos didn't, I think we'd all have been a bit star struck. I say fair play to them for realising he wasn't right for the club and changing their stance. They could have become his unofficial mouthpiece. They're fine.
They did become his unofficial mouthpiece !

They did become his unofficial mouthpiece !

They did for a while when they thought he was going to be good for the club. But like I say, most fans would have been a bit giddy with that sudden level of access. Most fan media type groups never get anything like regular contact with the owner. I think it reflects well on them that they stayed objective and, when it became obvious that he was more likely to damage the club than give it a renaissance, they were big enough to admit they (like many of us) had called it wrong. They pretty much gave up their access because they thought it was the right thing for the club. You only have to look on here to see that doesn't always happen. How many posters here decide to be "pro Donald" or whatever and then stubbornly stick to it even when all evidence suggests they're wrong? And they don't even get any access, they've got nowt to lose by admitting they called it wrong, but still they get further entrenched. I don't think RR did anything wrong with how they handled the situation with Donald tbh.

I find the criticism of RR/WMS baffling.
SAFC fans giving up their own time (I imagine unpaid) to put out content for fellow SAFC fans.

You may not agree with some Of their content but that’s understandable as it’s their opinion?!
ive always found RR/WMS balanced on their opinions with all things SAFC related.
When approached sensibly on social media, they’ll always engage and discuss what they’ve put out.

Their podcasts over the lockdown were a god send.
This.

Imagine how galling it must be to give up your time to do articles, podcasts, interviews etc and put them out to fans for nowt and then be accused by virtue of stepping onto that platform of thinking yourself "the voice of the fans" rather than just someone with a point of view.
I listen to and enjoy their podcasts. I’m not on Twitter so don’t see what what they’re like on there.

If I had to choose however I’d say Wise Men Say are better.
I think they're very different in style and tone, and I enjoy that difference. Roker Rapport are a bit more polished, WMS are more gritty and like lads taking in the pub. You get good and bad with both, so they've each got a nice niche IMO

Last edited:
Just wondered what people’s views are of the RR fanzine? I really enjoy their podcasts but have noticed that they are growing in influence, certainly on Twitter with some of their posters being quite vocal. There’s one bloke Gav who certainly values his own opinion quite highly (bit of an arrogant sod tbh).

Undoubtedly some great content but the whole #donaldout stuff was ill thought out at the time.

views?

I love Twitter as a social platform but the one thing you can guarantee is the noise on it has very little resemblance of views on mass. Take the last general election and Brexit as examples. These guys having "influence" on Twitter accounts for pretty much nothing in reality, it's such a small platform (relative to other) with specific types of people on it.

This.

Imagine how galling it must be to give up your time to do articles, podcasts, interviews etc and put them out to fans for nowt and then be accused by virtue of stepping onto that platform of thinking yourself "the voice of the fans" rather than just someone with a point of view.

I think they're very different in style and tone, and I enjoy that difference. Roker Rapport are a bit more polished, WMS are more gritty and like lads taking in the pub. You get good and bad with both, so they've each got a nice niche IMO

Gareth cracks me up. Proper monotone voice but he comes out with some cracking one liners. :lol:

They're alright. I tend to enjoy these types of things more when they act like fans, rather than wannabe journalists and do "deep analysis". Most of the time, they stay on the right side of that.

I don't listen to any of the lads podcasts consistently, I marginally prefer the Wise Men Say one, but that changes when Chris "check your facts or shut up" Wetherspoon is on. His disagreement with Donald seems to be a badge of honour that comes across as self indulgent.

The lad who does the What the falk podcast produces the most enjoyable material when he has former Sunderland players/managers on.

In general its good to have so much content about the lads.
Thanks mate!

Great footy content.
Did notice them the other day using their platform to voice political discontent... (correct me if I’m wrong), which doesn’t reflect too well IMO and risks polarizing some fans though.

Back