Roker pier

Makem57

Central Defender
Just been in the right place at the right time , we had a walk along the pier and when we got back to the entrance to the tunnel, one of the volunteers asked us if we would like a tour. The main tours don't start until March, and it was was a training for new volunteers , the tour was great the volunteer told us the history of the pier and we got to climb to the top of the light house, would recommend it .

Just been in the right place at the right time , we had a walk along the pier and when we got back to the entrance to the tunnel, one of the volunteers asked us if we would like a tour. The main tours don't start until March, and it was was a training for new volunteers , the tour was great the volunteer told us the history of the pier and we got to climb to the top of the light house, would recommend it .
It's a great tour, I loved it.

I've booked the tunnel tour twice & had them both cancelled a few days before due to the weather forecast, the first was a bit of a wild day, waves crashing over the pier, a definite no go, but the 2nd time the tour was cancelled on the Thursday due to the forecast but the weather was fine all weekend & the pier was closed, very disappointed. Will try again though, will not be put off by the unpredictable North sea.

I've booked the tunnel tour twice & had them both cancelled a few days before due to the weather forecast, the first was a bit of a wild day, waves crashing over the pier, a definite no go, but the 2nd time the tour was cancelled on the Thursday due to the forecast but the weather was fine all weekend & the pier was closed, very disappointed. Will try again though, will not be put off by the unpredictable North sea.

Keep at it mate. It’s well worth it

Does inside the lighthouse not stink of piss due to the fishermen slashing up the door instead of just going into the sea? Genuine question.

I remember the Bull Horn blasting out on the end of the pier on a foggy day when I was a kid. One huge bellowing blast ending in a long low note whummmp that reverberated all over the town.

I think that the Bull Horn is long gone now though just like the sound of the caulkers in the shipyards who always seemed to me to have machine guns that they fired at empty galvanized dust bins.

Fog horns had their own distinctive voice so when they sounded they would be recognised and ships would be able to identify which lighthouse they were off. Do they still use fog horns these days or is it all done by radar and GPI?

I remember the Bull Horn blasting out on the end of the pier on a foggy day when I was a kid. One huge bellowing blast ending in a long low note whummmp that reverberated all over the town.

I think that the Bull Horn is long gone now though just like the sound of the caulkers in the shipyards who always seemed to me to have machine guns that they fired at empty galvanized dust bins.

Fog horns had their own distinctive voice so when they sounded they would be recognised and ships would be able to identify which lighthouse they were off. Do they still use fog horns these days or is it all done by radar and GPI?
Aye you still hear the foghorn now and again

Back