Roker pier

Genuine question here... What's great about a tunnel and a lighthouse?

Aye, that's gonna last a long time at the end of a North Sea pier. :eek::lol:
The tunnel, you get to see something that people rarely see and a bit of history about how it was used. The lighthouse, you get stunning views, again that very few people get to see.
It also appeared in two of my books so it was fascinating to see how the reality matched my fiction.
I wrote a blog all about the experience that should answer your question.;)
Roker lighthouse as you’ve never seen it before.

Without a doubt, it wouldn’t be difficult to put a few wheelie bins on the pier chained up.
A few portable toilets also, however I’m sure they would be vandalised within days
They built a glass box at the end knowing it would get vandalised and it did, and got fixed. Can’t see the difference tbf.

They built a glass box at the end knowing it would get vandalised and it did, and got fixed. Can’t see the difference tbf.

I know what you say but suppose the council have to weigh up what is beneficial, a nice looking tunnel paid from by heritage funds or plastic toilets which wankers would destroy because they are plain dumb.
I think it would be worth a month or so ‘s trial to see how it goes.

The tunnel, you get to see something that people rarely see and a bit of history about how it was used. The lighthouse, you get stunning views, again that very few people get to see.
It also appeared in two of my books so it was fascinating to see how the reality matched my fiction.
I wrote a blog all about the experience that should answer your question.;)
Roker lighthouse as you’ve never seen it before.
Not reading all that ffs. ;)

Did you go to the foghorn requiem at Souter a few years back?

It was bizarre! They had a brass band onshore and the big foghorn, then loads of boats strategically placed at sea with horns on and they all played music. It was weird but enjoyable.

Ha ha I was in the brass band that day, as was @Tomma IIRC.

Is that the foghorn on now? Or is there some odd high pitched noise in Ashbrooke at the moment?

Tynemouth foghorn is on at the minute, dunno if it reaches Ashbrooke though.

Does inside the lighthouse not stink of piss due to the fishermen slashing up the door instead of just going into the sea? Genuine question.
I’m guessing it’s a watertight door :oops:

When did they change the foghorn?

A little ditty for you. We were fishing the concrete blocks for coley about 35 years ago and the fog had come down. A real pea souper and out of the fog, broadside to the pier came a cobble ( boat)
“ is this sheeeeels” spouted from the aft end of the boat. Giggles followed by everyone fishing and directed him 6 miles north. I bet that trip back was tension plus 10 just waiting for Whitburn steel to pop up to snap his prop and rudder. I sill remember it as well and brings a smile as does many of the hours on there

Last edited:
I took the son in law and grandbairns along to the lighthouse the other day, very enjoyable despite dodging the large dog turds that some lazy buggers neglected to pick up.:evil:

Ha ha I was in the brass band that day, as was @Tomma IIRC.

Tynemouth foghorn is on at the minute, dunno if it reaches Ashbrooke though.

@Ginger John
I most certainly was. One of the more bizarre band 'jobs' it has to be said.
I remember the end of it was pretty much walking into a field playing what the hell we liked from a choice of little motifs, at whatever speed we liked, as loud as we liked.
It was strangely emotional though when the foghorn was sounded for the last time and the sound just died off at the end.

@Ginger John
I most certainly was. One of the more bizarre band 'jobs' it has to be said.
I remember the end of it was pretty much walking into a field playing what the hell we liked from a choice of little motifs, at whatever speed we liked, as loud as we liked.
It was strangely emotional though when the foghorn was sounded for the last time and the sound just died off at the end.

I think my overriding reaction was ‘Thank Christ I got to the end’!

Went today. Brilliant experience. Make sure you take a mobile phone for some light. It can be quite scary when you first go in the tunnel. Watch your head!

The view from the top of the lighthouse was superb. They have done a great job restoring it.

The 2 tour guides were great. Very enthusiastic and committed to the charity.

They also have plans to try to open up the South Pier, there is a tunnel there.

A well spent 1 1/2 hours.

Recommended.

Back