Roker pier

You couldn't do it for the cost alone. at least 3 people, 8 hours shifts, 7 days a week to police it, and thats just Roker Pier. You'll never get the docks open again, as the PoS hide behind the terrorism act while god knows what is dumped into the sea over there.

All the decent anglers can do is say something, and then you're wary of doing so as the scum are normally tanked up and in charge of knives for fishing.

Personally, I do my fishing elsewhere from March to September, the place is a hell hole in the summer months. Give me the peace and quiet of Luce bay in SW Scaotland any day.
Point taken but a permit, maybe £5 to cover admin, a few signs up, £250 fine for no permits or littering/pissing, no doubt the odd random patrol would snare a few & act as a deterrent. I would also put on the notice PISS ON THE LIGHT HOUSE WILL BE DNA TESTED & OFFENDERS PROSECUTED!

It used to absolutely stink when I fished it when it was open to the public, a chemical smell, not your common or garden sewer. I know lads who still fish it (its an SAS style operation these days) and they say you can still smell it now and again. It hit the front page of the Echo some years back when myself and few others took photos of a red liquid pouring into the sea at Hendon Groyne.
I've worked at a few places around the South Dock, contract jobs, there's a few chemical places down there, Century oils had big tanks down there, no doubt there's some stuff goes in the water, I remember one process plant room I worked in was lifting, stuff had been leaking for ages, we were suited & masked up, horrible job.

Last edited:

Point taken but a permit, maybe £5 to cover admin, a few signs up, £250 fine for no permits or littering/pissing, no doubt the odd random patrol would snare a few & act as a deterrent. I would also put on the notice PISS ON THE LIGHT HOUSE WILL BE DNA TESTED & OFFENDERS PROSECUTED!

5 guards working minimum wage, 24/7, 52 weeks a year = at least 80k. Add to that admin fees, signage costs, hut for them to be based...thats a lot of £5 permits.

I've worked at a few places around the South Dock, contract jobs, there's a few chemical places down there, Century oils had big tanks down there, no doubt there's some stuff goes in the water, I remember one process plant room I worked in was lifting, stuff had been leaking for ages, we were suited & masked up, horrible job.

I can well believe it.

5 guards working minimum wage, 24/7, 52 weeks a year = at least 80k. Add to that admin fees, signage costs, hut for them to be based...thats a lot of £5 permits.

I can well believe it.
No need for guards & huts, just have a mobile security patrol from the council drive up the pier once in a while when it's busy with fishermen, lock the gate behind them, there's nowhere to run, no doubt the responsible angler's will have permits & the can drinking, light house pissers won't. Issue fine notices as required & take samples of any piss up the doorway. I'm sure after a couple of visits & a no nonsense approach combined with plenty of publicity on fines being issued it would act as a deterrent & leave the pier litter & piss free for both the public & responsible angler's to enjoy.

No need for guards & huts, just have a mobile security patrol from the council drive up the pier once in a while when it's busy with fishermen, lock the gate behind them, there's nowhere to run, no doubt the responsible angler's will have permits & the can drinking, light house pissers won't. Issue fine notices as required & take samples of any piss up the doorway. I'm sure after a couple of visits & a no nonsense approach combined with plenty of publicity on fines being issued it would act as a deterrent & leave the pier litter & piss free for both the public & responsible angler's to enjoy.
Would it not be easier to attach a large car or lorry battery to the metal door from the inside? Someone pisses on it, frazzles their nads.

So the general public won't be able to access it?

You don't need any security. All you need is for the pier to be made an alcohol free zone. Its then added as part of the seafront police patrol and there you go. No permits, no locked gates, everyones happy.

You don't need any security. All you need is for the pier to be made an alcohol free zone. Its then added as part of the seafront police patrol and there you go. No permits, no locked gates, everyones happy.

The coppers wouldn’t venture up the Pier tho.
The litter and alcohol is a huge problem, last year someone was biting heads off the raw mackerel and threatening to jump into the sea.
Police
Coastguard
Rnli
Neas
All called out just because he was a bawbag

Just been in the right place at the right time , we had a walk along the pier and when we got back to the entrance to the tunnel, one of the volunteers asked us if we would like a tour. The main tours don't start until March, and it was was a training for new volunteers , the tour was great the volunteer told us the history of the pier and we got to climb to the top of the light house, would recommend it .

Cheers for this.

I take my Mam to Whitburn for a coffee and a sandwich every Saturday and she asks about the tunnel every week! Unfortunately she's in a wheel chair but she doesn't actually want to do the tour but is curious about it :)

The coppers wouldn’t venture up the Pier tho.
The litter and alcohol is a huge problem, last year someone was biting heads off the raw mackerel and threatening to jump into the sea.
Police
Coastguard
Rnli
Neas
All called out just because he was a bawbag

There's no reason why they shouldn't, the place is an accident waiting to happen during the summer.

Something needs to be done, the council has invested a lot of money in the lighthouse, pier & tunnel, shame it's been abused by a mindless few.

Something needs to be done, the council has invested a lot of money in the lighthouse, pier & tunnel, shame it's been abused by a mindless few.

Totally agree. We're lucky to have it, its a fantastic example of victorian engineering, when you see the old photos of it being built, along with the opposite South pier, its mind boggling.

CCTV on the lighthouse, high up enough not to tamper with. Have a regular section in the Echo and on Facebook, showing the offenders, fine them when someone grasses them up and ban them from the pier after they've spent three days on community service scrubbing the whole pier end. Maybe make them wear an 'I'm A Dirty Pisser' hoody for a month at all times.

Far to easy that mate like the bins.

Takes them out of action for a good 15 mins either way, the won’t get the plod car up unless the council or coasties open it for them
Can you tell them that this happens all around the coast in the summer. Roker Pier is no different.
The only difference is Roker Pier has no bins as they won’t pay to empty them. So it’s either don’t go on or put up with litter and piss. You can’t walk 20 yards in sunderland without coming across a bin. Yet there is still a massive litter problem, but but it’s the fisherman’s. Not a dig at you mate, you’re my hero.
The piss and litter is a social problem not an angling one.

Can you tell them that this happens all around the coast in the summer. Roker Pier is no different.
The only difference is Roker Pier has no bins as they won’t pay to empty them. So it’s either don’t go on or put up with litter and piss. You can’t walk 20 yards in sunderland without coming across a bin. Yet there is still a massive litter problem, but but it’s the fisherman’s. Not a dig at you mate, you’re my hero.
The piss and litter is a social problem not an angling one.
Without a doubt, it wouldn’t be difficult to put a few wheelie bins on the pier chained up.
A few portable toilets also, however I’m sure they would be vandalised within days

Back