Roker pier

Inside the lighthouse doesn’t smell :lol:
It's just the fishermen that stink of piss!

I remember the Bull Horn blasting out on the end of the pier on a foggy day when I was a kid. One huge bellowing blast ending in a long low note whummmp that reverberated all over the town.

I think that the Bull Horn is long gone now though just like the sound of the caulkers in the shipyards who always seemed to me to have machine guns that they fired at empty galvanized dust bins.

Fog horns had their own distinctive voice so when they sounded they would be recognised and ships would be able to identify which lighthouse they were off. Do they still use fog horns these days or is it all done by radar and GPI?
Sure it's Souter lighthouse you can hear, it's got 2 big fog horns, I can hear them in SR6, standard joke in our house, I can hear your
I remember the Bull Horn blasting out on the end of the pier on a foggy day when I was a kid. One huge bellowing blast ending in a long low note whummmp that reverberated all over the town.

I think that the Bull Horn is long gone now though just like the sound of the caulkers in the shipyards who always seemed to me to have machine guns that they fired at empty galvanized dust bins.

Fog horns had their own distinctive voice so when they sounded they would be recognised and ships would be able to identify which lighthouse they were off. Do they still use fog horns these days or is it all done by radar and GPI?
Sure it Souter lighthouse fog horns you can hear, they got 2 big fog horns, I can hear them here in SR6.
Standard joke in our house, I can hear your mother's up :lol:
Burrrrrmp!

Last edited:

Did you go to the foghorn requiem at Souter a few years back?

It was bizarre! They had a brass band onshore and the big foghorn, then loads of boats strategically placed at sea with horns on and they all played music. It was weird but enjoyable.

It's just the fishermen that stink of piss!

Sure it's Souter lighthouse you can hear, it's got 2 big fog horns, I can hear them in SR6, standard joke in our house, I can hear your

Sure it Souter lighthouse fog horns you can hear, they got 2 big fog horns, I can hear them here in SR6.
Standard joke in our house, I can hear your mother's up :lol:
Burrrrrmp!
I remember the Souter horn . It sounded like a high pitch beep compared to the Bull Horn at Roker. I can also recall the pit head and the pit village of Whitburn next to the lighthouse. If it wasn't bad enough for the poor beggars who worked down the pit there on a foggy day they had a fog horn going off right next door to them. The pit closed in the late 60's and the whole village was demolished shortly after just leaving Souter light.

Did you go to the foghorn requiem at Souter a few years back?

It was bizarre! They had a brass band onshore and the big foghorn, then loads of boats strategically placed at sea with horns on and they all played music. It was weird but enjoyable.
It sounds amazing but living down sarf all these years I only get to visit once in a while. As I get older the gaps between visits get bigger

Last edited:
I remember the Souter horn . It sounded like a high pitch beep compared to the Bull Horn at Roker. I can also recall the pit head and the pit village of Whitburn next to the lighthouse. If it wasn't bad enough for the poor beggars who worked down the pit there on a foggy day they had a fog horn going off right next door to them. The pit closed in the late 60's and the whole village was demolished shortly after just leaving Souter light.

It sounds amazing but living down sarf all these years I only get to visit once in a while. As I get older the gaps between visits get bigger
Yeah it's definitely a strange pitch, reminds me of doing a hearing test at the hospital, loads of background noise & you can just hear the horn coming through.

Where did I say it was OK.
You were slating people for having a piss in public when you've clearly done so yourself.
Surely that makes you a hypocrite.
The fishermen piss in the same places every time they go on the pier, it's a bit different to getting caught short on your way home, it's about time the council did something about it, put a few signs up & maybe one of those portable urinals, seen them used down Bristol, stops the pissheads stinking out the alleys & shop doorways. If they still want to piss up the lighthouse doorway I'd ban the lot of them, pissing is just half the problem, they leave all sorts of rubbish strewn all along the pier, hooks, bits of line, old bait & whatever else they can't be arsed to pick up, bloody litter louts!

Where did I say it was OK.
You were slating people for having a piss in public when you've clearly done so yourself.
Surely that makes you a hypocrite.

The problem is they piss up the door to the lighthouse instead of simply pissing into the sea. If there's people about they could go down any of the steps that lead into the wayside if needed.

The fishermen piss in the same places every time they go on the pier, it's a bit different to getting caught short on your way home, it's about time the council did something about it, put a few signs up & maybe one of those portable urinals, seen them used down Bristol, stops the pissheads stinking out the alleys & shop doorways. If they still want to piss up the lighthouse doorway I'd ban the lot of them, pissing is just half the problem, they leave all sorts of rubbish strewn all along the pier, hooks, bits of line, old bait & whatever else they can't be arsed to pick up, bloody litter louts!

As a Sea Angler who's fished the place for over 30 years, don't tar us all with the same brush.

We regularly clean up the rubbish left by recreational anglers ("its a nice day, lets go fishing and take some cans with us"), who come out of their holes in the summer, leave gear all over the place, mackerel guts, cans and like you said, think pissing in the lighthouse doorway is acceptable.

Every decent anger takes a carrier bag with him and takes all their rubbish home.

If I was desperate for a piss when I was out I don't think I'd piss up a tourist attraction when the sea is right next to me in the other direction.

Dirty stinking fuckers, they are.

Totally agree. Give the decent anglers a bad name.

As a Sea Angler who's fished the place for over 30 years, don't tar us all with the same brush.

We regularly clean up the rubbish left by recreational anglers ("its a nice day, lets go fishing and take some cans with us"), who come out of their holes in the summer, leave gear all over the place, mackerel guts, cans and like you said, think pissing in the lighthouse doorway is acceptable.

Every decent anger takes a carrier bag with him and takes all their rubbish home.

Totally agree. Give the decent anglers a bad name.

Sounds like it's time the decent angler's got the pissers & litter louts sorted out for giving you a bad name. It may be a good idea to make fishing on the pier permit only, any pissing or litter louting & the permits revoked, I would extend the permit area along both sides of the Wear & around the North dock, loads of rubbish left under the bridge & on the path next to the yacht club by litter louts angler's.

Roker pier fog horn is still in use, operated by the port authority. Souter point no longer in use but I believe it can still be used for events etc.

Sounds like it's time the decent angler's got the pissers & litter louts sorted out for giving you a bad name. It may be a good idea to make fishing on the pier permit only, any pissing or litter louting & the permits revoked, I would extend the permit area along both sides of the Wear & around the North dock, loads of rubbish left under the bridge & on the path next to the yacht club by litter louts angler's.

You couldn't do it for the cost alone. at least 3 people, 8 hours shifts, 7 days a week to police it, and thats just Roker Pier. You'll never get the docks open again, as the PoS hide behind the terrorism act while god knows what is dumped into the sea over there.

All the decent anglers can do is say something, and then you're wary of doing so as the scum are normally tanked up and in charge of knives for fishing.

Personally, I do my fishing elsewhere from March to September, the place is a hell hole in the summer months. Give me the peace and quiet of Luce bay in SW Scaotland any day.

You couldn't do it for the cost alone. at least 3 people, 8 hours shifts, 7 days a week to police it, and thats just Roker Pier. You'll never get the docks open again, as the PoS hide behind the terrorism act while god knows what is dumped into the sea over there.

All the decent anglers can do is say something, and then you're wary of doing so as the scum are normally tanked up and in charge of knives for fishing.

Personally, I do my fishing elsewhere from March to September, the place is a hell hole in the summer months. Give me the peace and quiet of Luce bay in SW Scaotland any day.

We often navigate the coastline around the port and to be fair there is nothing untoward, what’s went on in the last is another matter

We often navigate the coastline around the port and to be fair there is nothing untoward, what’s went on in the last is another matter

It used to absolutely stink when I fished it when it was open to the public, a chemical smell, not your common or garden sewer. I know lads who still fish it (its an SAS style operation these days) and they say you can still smell it now and again. It hit the front page of the Echo some years back when myself and few others took photos of a red liquid pouring into the sea at Hendon Groyne.

Give it 6 months and it'll be closed. Build a rusty crane or summat.

Back