Roker Pier

That's a special opening as part of the Heritage Open Days Weekend About | Heritage Open Days.

The public tours will be advertised shortly apparently.
Yeah, they are a one off but I'm sure they'll have loads of different time slots available.
I've been on a preview tour today and it was even better than I expected. Loved every minute of it. The tunnel under the pier is a great start but the views from the of the lighthouse are breathtaking.
I took loads of photos but here's a couple as a taster.
Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

A little blog about the tour.
Roker lighthouse as you’ve never seen it before.

Last edited:
Be better if they could just open up the lighthouse occasionally to look around.
Can't be arsed booking a tour and walking through the tunnel.

What has happened to the Roker Bull Horn. The fog horn attached to the lighthouse. When that was on the go you could hear it for miles .After the main blast it had a massive sub base "Whuuump" at the end that rumbled on for quite a few seconds so it could be identified in fog as the Roker horn.

What has happened to the Roker Bull Horn. The fog horn attached to the lighthouse. When that was on the go you could hear it for miles .After the main blast it had a massive sub base "Whuuump" at the end that rumbled on for quite a few seconds so it could be identified in fog as the Roker horn.

volunteer pointed out where the new one is. it’s disappointingly small. about the size of a shoebox, perched under the window at the top pointing out to sea

:cool:

Back