Roker Pie Shop

Burdess's on Seaside Lane, George, la. My paternal grandparents lived "down South" in Beatty Street. Maternals were "up North" in Arthur Street. Two chip shops, quite close together, just before you got to the quarry (on the right hand side, heading North)? One was Fairs's & the other Longstaff's (I think, but please put me right). The former had a lovely woman (the daughter, who was my Mam's age, as I was just a little boy at the time) running it. She had a prosthetic arm. I think she'd lost it to polio. Distant memories, probably flawed. Hell on if I went to the wrang one. Granda always had a special order of "haddock on the bone". Neen of that filleted rubbish for him, ha, ha.

3.142tastic!

Tony was a canny tisch-tennis player, if I remember correctly.
Fairs's was a great chippy. Also Harry Evans near the waterworks.

morning cw, whats your family name we are collins I am the eldest of 4 siblings and just turned 70 last summer. gives you some idea of when we were knocking around down there. You are correct regarding the fish and chip shops and I recall the lass with the false arm don't think she was related to fairs mind you. The Fairs family owned the farm just along past the quarry and we used to get chased by the son on his massive horse(well it was to us) if he caught us heading up to washington rec to play footie across their land.

Back