Roker Pie Shop

:cry:
Another institution gone,remember it being popular on match days ,sarnie Shop now
Is there such a thing as a decent pie shop in town, now. Nee Roker Pies, nee Maws Pies and long since gone, Cawthorns Pasties. All bring back very happy memories of my Childhood. What a bloody sad state society is in, when bloody McDonalds are deemed to be a more attractive Snack than a Pie, Proper Pastie or a one of Jack Piggs legendary savory dips:cry:

Any of the Easington lads recall a bakery down the bottom end of the street near to Moscardini's iirc ( maybe Burdess's? ). Used to think their pies were fkn awesome when I visited as a young 'un

Is there such a thing as a decent pie shop in town, now. Nee Roker Pies, nee Maws Pies and long since gone, Cawthorns Pasties. All bring back very happy memories of my Childhood. What a bloody sad state society is in, when bloody McDonalds are deemed to be a more attractive Snack than a Pie, Proper Pastie or a one of Jack Piggs legendary savory dips:cry:

Get down Roker avenue to the Butchers and get a pork dip man!

Any of the Easington lads recall a bakery down the bottom end of the street near to Moscardini's iirc ( maybe Burdess's? ). Used to think their pies were fkn awesome when I visited as a young 'un
yes burdess was the name, they did all kinds of pie comestibles but my favourite was their version of a scots pie (mutton filling) we lived in baldwin street and I used to do the papers for the paper shop next door down early 1960s

Binns used to do canny pies back in the day and so did Greggs.

I remember that when I was about 12 Maws had a pie shop between Newcastle Road and Southwick Road. During the school holidays me and me mate used to get a hot steak pie on the way home after a morning at the then unheated Newcastle Road baths. I don't know if it was the cold or the chlorine that made the pies taste especially good.

The Roker Cafe for chip butties, Red Lion for Best Scotch and if you were still hungry (greedy bastard me, always was) a curry batter bun from the chippy at the Roker End or pies from the aforementioned pie shop. A quick pint or two in the New Derby. Happy f***ing days. We didn't have a care in the world.

Gelders Pies?

Maws Pies! Peas in a bag. Does it get any better?

Living in New Zealand now, I certainly miss savory or pork dips from back home. There are some half decent pies around though not quite the same.

Pie story.....
Recently I went to a 'farmers market' in Fielding (small village town, North Island of NZ) there was a stall selling pies (actually called Devine Pies) so naturally made straight for it, pies looked great, no doubt because soon as the lass opened her mouth I could tell she was from very close if not from Sunderland. "Where are you from" I asked (the normal answer is England) ..... "a nar that.... Hylton Castle by any chance" (very lucky guess) ..... after she picked herself up, she said "eeeeeee, how did ya nar that" :)

I miss Ricks Cafe on Fulwell Rd at the Fulwell End. You could have a sit down meal or takeaway. Always made you welcome and the food was spot on. Good lad was Ricky.

yes burdess was the name, they did all kinds of pie comestibles but my favourite was their version of a scots pie (mutton filling) we lived in baldwin street and I used to do the papers for the paper shop next door down early 1960s
Burdess's on Seaside Lane, George, la. My paternal grandparents lived "down South" in Beatty Street. Maternals were "up North" in Arthur Street. Two chip shops, quite close together, just before you got to the quarry (on the right hand side, heading North)? One was Fairs's & the other Longstaff's (I think, but please put me right). The former had a lovely woman (the daughter, who was my Mam's age, as I was just a little boy at the time) running it. She had a prosthetic arm. I think she'd lost it to polio. Distant memories, probably flawed. Hell on if I went to the wrang one. Granda always had a special order of "haddock on the bone". Neen of that filleted rubbish for him, ha, ha.
Living in New Zealand now, I certainly miss savory or pork dips from back home. There are some half decent pies around though not quite the same.

Pie story.....
Recently I went to a 'farmers market' in Fielding (small village town, North Island of NZ) there was a stall selling pies (actually called Devine Pies) so naturally made straight for it, pies looked great, no doubt because soon as the lass opened her mouth I could tell she was from very close if not from Sunderland. "Where are you from" I asked (the normal answer is England) ..... "a nar that.... Hylton Castle by any chance" (very lucky guess) ..... after she picked herself up, she said "eeeeeee, how did ya nar that" :)
3.142tastic!
Gelders Pies?
Tony was a canny tisch-tennis player, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Back