Roker Park photo

Me and me da are on this picture, Was this for Chelsea replay tickets or the semi in 92?

I know it's not for the final cos I remember having the vouchers and collecting our final tickets through a turnstile in the main stand

Me and me da are on this picture, Was this for Chelsea replay tickets or the semi in 92?

I know it's not for the final cos I remember having the vouchers and collecting our final tickets through a turnstile in the main stand
I don't think it was the Chelsea replay because a very good friend of mine (Mag actually, which shows what a good friend he was) got my ticket for that match by queueing with my Gold Card as I was offshore at the time of the sale and he, good mate though he was, wouldn't have been queuing overnight. Might have happened for general sale I suppose but would there have been enough tickets left to justify an overnight queue. I think it was for the semi final and I was there too!

I don't think it was the Chelsea replay because a very good friend of mine (Mag actually, which shows what a good friend he was) got my ticket for that match by queueing with my Gold Card as I was offshore at the time of the sale and he, good mate though he was, wouldn't have been queuing overnight. Might have happened for general sale I suppose but would there have been enough tickets left to justify an overnight queue. I think it was for the semi final and I was there too!

The Chelsea QF tickets were sold on a Sunday morning at Roker as I had to drive up from West Yorkshire & back to get one. In these days of the internet it seems bonkers but that was pretty much the only way I was going to guarantee myself one.

Bet you would have it back if you could...proper football ground...
Absolutely not! I'd gone to Roker Park since I was old enough to get in the Roker End when the big double were opened twenty minutes before the end of a game in the late 50's and regularly from the 60's until it shut its doors. The good games / times were really good but there were lots of poor seasons in a dump of a ground which deteriorated badly and so much so we had to leave it and move to the modern, comfortably seated much better quality SOL.

I used to have a recurring dream that we kept Roker as a reserve team ground but the Roker End had been pulled down and that side was open.
I used to have that dream about Roker being the reserve ground, the Roker was still there but the Fulwell had become a two tiered seating stand.

Agreed, especially as this weekend we've seen televised matches at Stamford Bridge, Molineux and Anfield - old grounds that were modernised and retain a great atmosphere.

The footprint of the modernised Stamford Bridge hasn’t changed much, they had the room to be able to do it.

Logon or register to see this image

The same really for Molineux.

We could have done what they did for Anfield and buy up the surrounding streets, but with buying those, demolition costs and then rebuilding it would have cost about 5 times as much as it did to build the SoL.

The footprint of the modernised Stamford Bridge hasn’t changed much, they had the room to be able to do it.

Logon or register to see this image

The same really for Molineux.

We could have done what they did for Anfield and buy up the surrounding streets, but with buying those, demolition costs and then rebuilding it would have cost about 5 times as much as it did to build the SoL.
And realistically, what parts of RP could have been retained if we wanted a modern all-seater stadium?

Back